Upgrading to the latest edge (whm11) is giving error 500 on apache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiral

BANNED
Jun 24, 2005
Actually I think it's all also how experienced and skilled you are ...

If you know what you are doing, Edge is probably your best choice

In my own case, Edge is perfectly fine for me because whenever I
run into a problem, I don't have to wait for Cpanel to fix the issue
and instead I can usually just go in and fix the issue myself in
just a couple of minutes so no big deal really.

If you are less experienced, you might want to look at one of
the others such as Current or Release, Etc. These releases are
more tested and allow more of the bugs to be screened out so
you are less likely to run into problems like that.

MN-Robert

Feb 19, 2003
carluk said:
Sorry if you cannot handle a different opinion from yours but I do not agree with your statements with regards to not believing they released edge and it happens to be bug riddled. The only major bug I have come across so far which wasn't in a previous build is the easyapache problems. I do not agree with your assessment of my agreeing with your statement either, you should infact compare that statement you quoted with yours and you shall see the differences between moaning about a buggy edge release (which is just above beta in the cpanel tree), and posting in a thread asking what new features etc we'd like and simply requesting some of the bugs in the tracker be fixed. "Edge is to be tested" and "I cant believe they released 11 in edge, as it's riddled with bugs" - nice slight contradiction there.

</Unsubscribed>
You must be smoking crack. My point that I was making earlier is quite simple, for an edge version of cpanel the software is way too buggy. I don't really care if they never have apache2 1.3.X series suits us fine.

Withouth "whining" as you call it (I call it feedback as their is no dedicated feedback area for cpanel) then cpanel is unable to gauge it's interest in what it's clients want and how they feel about their product. I guess you forgot your happy pills today or is Jim working you too hard?

jsnape

Mar 11, 2002
cPanel 11 - edge has bugs in it? Well I'll be a god-damn. Who could have predicted that? Come on... arguing over cpanel bugs is a waste of time. Here's how you upgrade to Apache 2 on Cpanel

Wait and watch through the two months of weeping and wailing about servers down - customer leaving - threat making - suicide committing etc... in the cpanel forums. When it all seems to settle down, do one server that has no customers on it. Wait another two months because the other shoe hasn't dropped. There will be a second world crisis two months after the first. After that one do another server. If after 10:00AM the next morning no unforseen tradgedies have befallen your customers hurry and do the rest of the servers before the third show falls.

Thats how you get through every major cpanel update.

JaCE

Aug 25, 2006
you know not to be a dick or anything but people come here for help not to listen to a few morons rant and rave about bull ****. ever damn thread i go to i see two of you all bitchin about nothing. yea cpanel can suck most of the time so here's my answer MAKE YOUR OWN then market it and make some cash! if its better ill dump this head ache and deal w/ another. Oh and btw how the hell did any of you all's ranting help the orginal question? ty my issue sure is solved!

falsedawn

Registered
Feb 24, 2005
I am getting the same error after trying to run easyapache to upgrade to apache 2 and php 5.1.5
Running centOS 4.3

Does anyone have a solution that works, yet? It seems as though the PHP module is not even being created. I thought that it would create a php5.so module file? Where is this supposed to be, because I can't find one, and shouldn't there be a LoadModule command in httpd.conf for it?

Uncommenting out the "AddModule phpmodule mod_php4.c" line just causes an error when I try to restart httpd.

It's all a bit of a mess, to be honest. Expecting paying customers to beta test software is not acceptable. Hiding behind an "It's Edge, so expect bugs" is also poor - that's what beta software is for.

Also, when accessing any php files, the browser tries to download them rather than parse them, so something has definitely gone screwy with the PHP configuration somewhere. Any ideas?

Last edited:

JaCE

Aug 25, 2006
since every one else is too busy bitchin bout each other... this is what i did and it worked. set my update confi back to stable, /scripts/upcp --force /scripts/eximup --force "i had a email issue to start w/" then /scripts/easyapache used my old config think it was option 6 but thats php 4.4.3 since i dont see a need to upgrade atm. as for the tryin to download the php files had the same do a "httpd configtest" and see if you have any errors clear your cache on ur browser, i know i had to w/ firefox cuz it kept tryin to dl when my partner swore it was workin ok.

hope that helps

falsedawn

Registered
Feb 24, 2005
Well, I tried going back to Current and Release - neither approach worked. Tried at least 6 or 7 different combinations of easyapache compiles - nothing worked.
Tried manually compiling PHP - no go.

I think that in the end, the problem was that the httpd.conf file had gotten totally screwed up, so modules weren't loading and all sorts of things were added/commented out.

Finally got it fixed by going back to stable and spending an hour sorting out the mess that was left behind in httpd.conf.

I would strongly advise anyone thinking of trying to upgrade to apache2 using EDGE to
NOT TRY IT ON A PRODUCTION SERVER.

I have learnt my lesson and think I will stick to less "experimental" releases in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.