MrNiles

Registered
Feb 26, 2017
Norwich, UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi there

I'm using SFTP to access the root directory on a new server which I own. If I upload a file to a public_html folder for one of the accounts then the file doesn't appear in the browser. For example if it's the index.html then it'll return a 404 error. However, if I upload the same file using standard ftp as the account owner then the site will function properly.

In the ftp client the file will show the owner as either 'root' or 'user' but the permissions will stay at 644.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and why the files uploaded as root aren't being found?

Thank you all for your time.

J

MrNiles

Registered
Feb 26, 2017
Norwich, UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The ownership reflects the identity of the uploader; 'root' for root and 'accountname' when using normal ftp. Will that be it? If so is there any way to work around it and still use root ftp?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and why the files uploaded as root aren't being found?
Hello,

You'll need to update the ownership of the files you upload as "root" to the account username. You can do this via the "chown" command via SSH. Or, simply login via SFTP as the account username to avoid this issue.

Thanks!