Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED Upload files for simple download URL?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peridot703, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Peridot703

Peridot703 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am a website owner (my site was built for me but I am having trouble getting my questions answered by the developer). My knowledge is scant!

I would like to upload some pdf files onto the website through cpanel to make them available for download. I added a "downloads" folder to the public_html folder and placed them in there, but would like to be able to open them with a fairly simple pathway eg. wesbite/downloads/filename rather than a string that is 200 characters in length.

I seem to recall doing it a number of years ago, but it seems to have changed (not surprising given the length of time I guess!)

Any guidance to achieving this aim would be much appreciated.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm not sure what this means. example.com/files/doc.pdf is not what you want?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Peridot703

Peridot703 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Info pro, that is exactly what I want - the simplest pathway possible. Where can I upload files so that that is the case?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    In my example above, example.com is the public_html/ directory on your account. So you'd create a directory inside public_html/ called files, if needed to keep things organized, and then upload your pdf files to it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. GOT

GOT Get Proactive! PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If what infopro is decribing doesn't work, it may because of rewrites your main site is using. In cases like that, what we suggest is that you make s ubdomain and make sure its root is in /home/user/subdomain and no in /home/user/public_html/subdomain.

In this way you can make files.example.com, upload the files to /home/user/files/ and then they are avialble as http://files.example.com/file.pdf and the main site htaccess will not interfere.

Infopro likes this.
  6. Peridot703

Peridot703 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thankyou! Working now :D