The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upload mySQL Databases

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Huminie, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Huminie

Huminie Member

I am looking for some suggestions on moving mySQL databases. I have 3 sites on a non-cPanel host and I am moving them to my new VPS with cPanel. Each site uses at mySQL database for phpBB forums.

I can use phpmyadmin to download the databases from the 'old' site, but I can't get them to upload. According to the folks at the phpBB site, databases over 2MB (tops) can't be uploaded via phpmyadmin. My databases are well over this and uploads for me time out.

Can you recommend a better way?

I have root access to the server, but am not real savy with command line Linux. I am thinking there has to be a way to just upload the .sql file via ftp and the move it to the appropriate location on the server, but I don't know how to find the files, or where to move them to.

TIA for any help!

2. jphilipson

jphilipson Well-Known Member

If you don't have any sites o nthe new box, you can just copy over the contents of /var/lib/mysql .. that will copy all the mysql data and users

3. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You could use a different front-end. I use MySQL Front which should not have that 2 meg limitation.