The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uploaded HTML file, it won't publish when web directory is accessed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by testipop, Oct 22, 2010.

1. testipop

testipop Registered

Hi!

I've tried looking this up through the FAQ and a search through the forums and I've tried a couple of suggestions and I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

The problem I'm facing is, I've uploaded a HTML file (named index.html) into a directory, eg: website.com/test/

When I try and access the URL via the browser, the page doesn't load. Instead, I am shown the error page.

I have basic HTML and server knowledge and far as I know, I think I'm doing things correctly but I'm stumped.

What I've noted from the forums and applied is:

1) Accessing the files through public_html directory
    2) Ensured the file and folder permissions are 644
    3) I've also tested it out by uploading an image in that directory
    4) I've tried both index.html and index.php

Pretty sure it's just a really minor step I'm missing, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. uzumaki_1

uzumaki_1 Registered

Sorry if you thought this was a solution message to your problem but i've just got some webspace through UK2.net (if you've heard of them) and i've uploaded my portfolio via the public_html folder (like you). Its contains index.html, index.swf and AC_RunActiveContent.js. I used tripod before and uploaded the same three files and it worked like a charm. When I go to my web domain to see the website then it just says: This Domain Name has been registered by a customer of UK2. If anyone could help here as well it would be great !!!!

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure how helpful I can be here, but lets try. :)

In the directory /public_html/test/ I'm assuming you have either/both an index.html and index.php and when you visit yourdomain.com/test/ neither page shows up, but an error page does.

The easiest way to test if there's some sort of problem with your index pages might be to rename them both to put them out of the way, next open notepad or your own favorite txt editor and type in hello to the document and save it as index.html. Now upload that to yourdomain.com/test and oipen in your browser. Does that open and show you, hello?

If yes, there some other problem there.

You might try my suggestion above, but your problem sounds different than his. If you visit yourdomain.com/index.html and it has a message about where it's hosted, on your account in /public_html/ you should find an index.html there with that message in it. If you rename that file to old.index.html and then upload your files and reopen yourdomain.com/index.html it should work.

If it doesn't, you'll do best to speak with your host as to what the issue might be.

4. testipop

testipop Registered

Thanks for the prompt reply! I tried your suggestion and stripped out everything and uploaded a basic HTML file with some dummy text. It still loads up the error page so I suspect the problem must be somewhere else?

I suspect something somewhere is preventing unspecified directories from being published or accessed - right now, the error page seems to take priority.

I've also checked folder permissions and made sure they match the others and it still doesn't work.

5. uzumaki_1

uzumaki_1 Registered

Hi there,

Yeah it seems to be a problem on my part actually. I just acessed my site without changing anything and its working. I think it just took a while for everything to get working. It did say wait 24 hours until the "internet" knows about your website lol. Thanks anyways...I knew it was straightforward.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    But yourdomain.com/index.html does work, correct?

Great to hear! :)

7. testipop

testipop Registered

Unfortunately, no. It still redirects to the error page for some reason :confused:

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sounds like there's a problem with your account, you might want to contact your host.