The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uploading Documents So Others Can Download

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ndmand, May 16, 2009.

1. Ndmand

Ndmand Member

Hi,

I can't figure out how I can put a file on my website so that others can download it. I have developed a spreadsheet and some documents that I intend to make available free. How do I get them physically onto the website and create a link that others can click to down load them?

While I am at it, I have a few other related questions. (1) I am using Webdisk but I find it kind of scary that it links to my desktop. Is this thing really secure? :confused: (2) I noticed that webdisk uploads to a directory name followed by four numbers. Those numbers are not the same numbers referenced in my Cpanel. Is that normal? (3) If I upload files by dropping them onto Webdisk, is this the best place to leave files that I want others to download? Also, should I be able to maneuver to the Webdisk directory from within the RVSite design tool?

Sorry about all of the questions. :D Maybe paragraph one is the important one.

Thank You,
    Ndmand

2. PlatinumServerM

PlatinumServerM Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just upload the file using FTP in the www directory, then the person trying to get it can go to domain.com/filename.abc
    If you want to put a link in your site you can use the same url for the link.

3. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

Just add proper MIME types for the file extentions you wish people to download from your website and then upload files inside the public_html folder.

4. Ndmand

Ndmand Member

Thank YOu

Thanks for your help. I also finally saw the link to the video in CPanel. My uploads are working great. Again, my thanks for your help.

Michael