The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uploading email directory of old account in the same directory of the new one (migration)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by kamrannorway, Oct 9, 2014.

1. kamrannorway

kamrannorway Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,
    I'm moving a shared account to a VPS. This VPS doesn't have enough storage to use full account backup. So, I could only get backup of the databases using cPanel tool. I'm downloading folders and files under public_html to my local computer. I also do the same for mail directory where email accounts and sent/received mails are stored.
    My question is can I just upload mail directory downloaded from old account, exactly to the same location in the new account, and have all email accounts, their passwords and sent/received mails same as before?
    Thank you

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You will need to re-create the email accounts in cPanel before uploading the contents from the "mail" directory. Or, download the contents of the "/home/$username/etc" directory and upload that to the account in addition to the "mail" directory. Run the following command after uploading that data:

Code:
    /scripts/mailperm $username
    Thank you.