[UPS-177] Service Failures after CentOS 7.7 update

valtechnical

Registered
Oct 4, 2019
Philippines
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
We followed Workaround 2 and it brought up our critical services. However, cphulkd will not start regardless of whether we edit the configuration for the service or not. Has anyone else found a workaround for this? We get the following when running "systemctl status cphulkd":
● cphulkd.service - cPanel brute force detector services
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/cphulkd.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/cphulkd.service.d
└─override.conf
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2019-09-18 13:21:41 MDT; 50min a
go
Process: 4639 ExecStart=/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/restartsrv_cphulkd --notconf
igured-ok --systemd-service=cphulkd (code=exited, status=255)
CGroup: /system.slice/cphulkd.service
├─ 804 cPhulkd - processo
└─2063 cPhulkd - dbprocesso

Sep 18 13:21:40 vps.example.com systemd[1]: Starting cPanel brute force detector services...
Sep 18 13:21:41 vps.example.com systemd[1]: cphulkd.service: control process exited, code=exited status=255
Sep 18 13:21:41 vps.example.com systemd[1]: Failed to start cPanel brute force detector services.
Sep 18 13:21:41 vps.example.com systemd[1]: Unit cphulkd.service entered failed state.
Sep 18 13:21:41 vps.example.com systemd[1]: cphulkd.service failed.

EDIT: Sorry for this post. It actually is running as a process, it just lists as a failed service.
Hi,

Just want to share my experience troubleshooting this type of problem. I do encounter this errors, after I have upgraded my cpanel_php_fpm, dnsadmin, cphulkd, mailman cpanellogd, cpdavd, and tailwatchd. All of these service has not started after updating my cpanel. I have the same kernel as posted here.

To fix these problem, I did the workaround #2, which i edited the not started service "systemctl edit dnsadmin.service command. Fixing cpanel_php_fpm.service and dnsadmin.service, following the instruction works like a charm. But during the fixing I encounter the problem on cphulkd.service and tailwatchd.service, i wont start the service, after searching the net, and reading the journalctl logs.

I stumble upon checking the process. Even if the cphulkd.service is not started, there still a process running. for cphulkd there are two processes:
529 ? S 0:00 cPhulkd - processor
4867 ? S 0:00 \_ cPhulkd - dbprocessor

So stopping or killing this pid process. then trying to restart "systemctl start cphulkd.service will fix the problem. I did the same again for tailwatchd.service
1 process running for tailwatchd, killing this process the running again "systemctl start tailwatchd.service will fix the problem. This works for me.

Thank you,
valtechnical

megajosete10

Registered
Oct 6, 2019
España
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I have problems with services
clamd
dnsadmin
lfd

But I don't know how to solve it.
I have a vps server and my provider doesn't know how to do it.
my server with a Centos 7.7 (virtuozzo)

Who should solve this problem?
CenTOS?
cPanel?

I don't know how my solution should be while it is fixed.
Can someone tell me what file to modify and what lines do I have to add?

I would be very grateful
thanks to everyone.

dpfchiptuning

Registered
Nov 18, 2019
Italy
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I have problems with services
clamd
dnsadmin
lfd

But I don't know how to solve it.
I have a vps server and my provider doesn't know how to do it.
my server with a Centos 7.7 (virtuozzo)

Who should solve this problem?
CenTOS?
cPanel?

I don't know how my solution should be while it is fixed.
Can someone tell me what file to modify and what lines do I have to add?

I would be very grateful
thanks to everyone.
idem my problem

jimlongo

Mar 20, 2008
I just started noticing this for the last few days (clamd, spamd, dnsadmin), and wrote my provider to ask them to update the kernel on my VPS.
I disabled clamd and asked them to look at it.

CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core)
2.6.32-042stab128.2

They wrote back and said that the update to 84.0.15 cleared up these issues, which I can confirm are no longer happening for spamd and dnsadmin.

However reinstalled clamd and it immediately started reporting the same failures. They are looking at it again.

Last edited: