In Progress UPS-398 - September 21st Easyapache update causing segfaults in apache/PHP 5.6

Operating System & Version
CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)
cPanel & WHM Version

Spirogg

Feb 21, 2018
chicago
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Apache not stable after update to 2.4.49-1.1.1.cpanel.x86_64

Jeremy Maldonado
  • 6 hours ago
  • Updated
Follow
Symptoms
It has been reported that after upgrading to the RPM ea-apache24-2.4.49-1.1.1, Apache will restart and crash regularly. Similar to what this shown below:

[Thu Sep 23 xx:xx:xx.xxxx 2021] [mpm_event:notice] [pid 34999:tid 47111458287728] AH00491: caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Thu Sep 23 xx:xx:xx.xxxx 2021] [mpm_event:notice] [pid 34999:tid 47111458287728] AH00491: caught SIGTERM, shutting down

Description
This is related to an upstream issue found and reported by Apache. As shown here:

Apache Bug 63169 - MPM event, stuck process after graceful

We've opened an internal case for our development team to investigate this further. For reference, the case number is EA-10123. Follow this article to receive an email notification when a solution is published in the product.

Workaround
An update has now been published to resolve this issue. You can update apache using either:
/scripts/upcp
Or
yum update

Reactions: inveress

Spirogg

Feb 21, 2018
chicago
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@Spirogg Thank you, do you know whether or not a restart is required after updating in order to apply the patch?

-Michael
I'm not sure but I just did the update now without restart?
I am wondering the same thing.

I guess we can wait and see if the issue persists after an hour or so ?
I don't have much on the server so I can restart if need be but i wanted to see if it worked without restart for another server :)
sorry I don't have that answer :(

Regards
Spiro

Reactions: mvandemar

mvandemar

Jun 17, 2006
I ran the update, but when I search the log I don't see any messages referencing Apache, so I am not sure how to tell if it was applied or what the difference is. The Apache version number is the same, although it does say that it was built today:

Code:
[[email protected] ~]# httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.4.49 (cPanel)
Server built:   Sep 23 2021 18:55:07
@cPRex, do you know how to tell whether or not the patch was applied? Thanks.

Edit: Ohhh, it did fix the other issue where I couldn't change from mpm_event to mpm_worker, so something is fixed at least. :D

-Michael

Spirogg

Feb 21, 2018
chicago
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I ran the update, but when I search the log I don't see any messages referencing Apache, so I am not sure how to tell if it was applied or what the difference is. The Apache version number is the same, although it does say that it was built today:

Code:
[[email protected] ~]# httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.4.49 (cPanel)
Server built:   Sep 23 2021 18:55:07
@cPRex, do you know how to tell whether or not the patch was applied? Thanks.

Edit: Ohhh, it did fix the other issue where I couldn't change from mpm_event to mpm_worker, so something is fixed at least. :D

-Michael
hi not sure how to tell. I just ran the update as you did and seems it was fixed..

One thing I did notice is I did yum update as well and I did update the kernel. I do not use Kernelcare so i updated anyway. then WHM asked me to restart server so I did it.
then when I clicked to return to WHM and login after 1 minute or so, It said my license was not valid. so after a couple more minutes of refresh and closed browser and then was able to login again?? not sure why that happened after the restart but just a heads up.

as I said I was finally able to login after about 3 mins of server coming back online. just a little weird, but all is good now.

Sorry I do not have enough to tell you how to double check to update. but I do not see any issues so far on my end and you were able to switch mpm so as you said something is fixed :)

regards

Spiro

Reactions: inveress