The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urchin Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff75, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to get Urchin running with cPanel and whenever I go to click on the Urchin link it comes up with the error "Urchin CGI Report. Error Encountered (2000).".

When I run "/scripts/runlogsnow && tail -f /usr/local/cpanel/logs/stats_log" it comes up with this:

Any ideas why it is saying unable to open database for writing? I have urchin installed in /usr/local/urchin4 and entered all of the default settings when running the install. I also have a valid license that was purchased from Urchin. I can also see all of the domains listed under Profiles in the Urchin Admin section.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. paint

paint Well-Known Member

I am getting the exact same error

3. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Are you running FreeBSD and Urchin 5?

4. paint

paint Well-Known Member

he is... i am running red hat 7.3

5. paint

paint Well-Known Member

still having problems! need help!

6. raventec

raventec Well-Known Member

The best I've been able to get is:
    "Urchin CGI Report. Error Encountered (2000)." after I said the hell with trying to upgrade v4 and tried a fresh install of v5
    Have no idea what that error means yet. It's better than the absolutely nothing I was seeing before at least.

7. paint

paint Well-Known Member

apparently urchin is not supported by cpanel anylonger. So only urchin 4 works.. urchin 5 has these problems.

8. raventec

If that's true, that sucks till something gets figured out. I wonder why some are claiming it is working with v5?

I guess if all else fails it can be installed externally from cpanel. logs are gonna be a royal pain to figure out though. Anyone done this?

9. MySundown

MySundown Well-Known Member

Yep, Urchin 5 doesn't work with cPanel anymore. They neglected to tell people too, so upgrade licenses were purchased for servers that they can't even use it on. They won't give refunds either, as they feel it isn't grounds for termination. They say they're going to work on cPanel integration in the future, but they don't know when they'll get to it, since they're so busy with all the bugs in Urchin 5. Lovely. I'll stick with 4 for the time being. :)

10. raventec

I messed around so much with this that I didn't exactly leave myself a downgrade path. It should be able to work externally to cpanel still. I don't see why it wouldn't. I really like the cpanel integration, but it's not that importaint to me.
    No refunds? The thing not working isn't grounds for a refund? They're nuts.

11. MySundown

They don't claim that Urchin 5 works with cPanel, it's marketed as seperate stats software. People bought it because they were under the impression that it did, but there was no official releases that it did. Since they bought the software because of their own neglect to check to see if it worked, it isn't ground for reimbursement.

It'll still work seperately, just profiles won't be automatically created like cPanel did. You'll have to manually create them, as well as user accounts for them to view the stats. That's alot of work.

12. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

The thing I don't get is how can anyone who purchases their own licenses from Urchin can use it with cPanel when cPanel creates log files for each sub-domain and there's no way to disable Urchin profiles for certain plans.

I attempted to do this originally with Urchin 4 but since I'm having to pay for all the licenses, I had to set it up so the profiles had to be created manually.

13. MySundown

Not quite following you. Each user can view the stats for subdomains under "Subdomain Stats" in cPanel. Some skins don't support it though.

Not a problem to me, I offer it to all clients :)

14. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

What I meant is that the Urchin licenses cost $695 for 100 sites. When using Urchin with cPanel, Urchin automatically picks up the logs for the sub-domains and counts them as seperate profiles. So if 4 clients went and created 24 sub-domains, those 4 accounts would use 100 licenses ($695).

15. raventec

You're right MySundown, it's definitely alot of work. This royally sucks! Technically, I'm sure Urchin isn't breaking any agreements. Information that it doesn't work with Cpanel would have been appreciated though before I and others unwittingly created a mess for themselves. Urchin definitely slid a few notches on the companies I trust pole :mad: Thanks for your information MySundown. tis appreciated!

16. MySundown

Ohhhhh. I don't have that problem yet thankfully. One server came with a free Urchin license :)D) that I can host as my domains as I'd like. And my other server is just for sites of mine, so I don't have that many profiles created in there.

BTW - they raised the price. It's $895 now for 100 sites :eek:! Jeez, they get away with murder!

17. MySundown

Hmm... you should be able to get your money back if you're within that 30 day time period. I'm not :( Blah.

18. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I haven't played with urchin5 yet, but I should be able to help you out with getting it to work with cPanel. Just put a ticket in to my attention.

19. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Would there be anyway that you can make it so we can set configure cPanel so it would not add sub-domain logs to Urchin? It would also be nice if we can make it so Urchin would only work on certain plans instead of just all of them.

20. ricoche

ricoche Well-Known Member

Downgrading

Has anybody tried downgrading to version 4? Would this require deleting version 5 and reinstalling version 4 perhaps with the previous version 4 license key? Or are we stuck with a version 5 that doesn't work. I'm not sure which direction to concentrate my efforts?

Thanks for any advice.

- Jim