The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urchin Stats - Good Bad??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lloyd_tennison, Oct 18, 2005.

1. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

My Datacenter says that they have had mixed results with problems with it. If anyone had good or bad experiences with it, especially with Fedora Core 4, please let me know. It seems to be the only stats program that will actually give stats on image files. Awstats says it will if yo comment out the skip files (jpg, gif, etc) but it never works. I have cleints that want to see how often an image is viewed (one sent in an email) and I need to find a good way to do that other than a mnaul search of the log files.

2. sh4ka

sh4ka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Urchin is better than Aw-stats, but also gets more cpu usage as well. It creates it's own daemon and it is more complex to configure than Awstats.

I have good experience with Urchin on Ensim servers, but very bad at cPanel servers, one thing bad is that at cPanel Urchin is always gettin new accounts and creating a profile for them, so if you have 400 accounts Urchin will create 400 profiles, that will consume too much cpu for my taste.

And Aw-stats have a few vulnerabilities not fixed in the last version 6.4 so.. I will keep with webalizer until they fix that :in stable version 6.5 (now in development process).

#2 sh4ka, Oct 18, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I found Urchin to be a resource hog and for all the pretty pictures, most clients seem to prefer the simplicity of webalizer or awstats. I would generall only recommend running 2 types of log analysis software whichever you choose.

4. ng_kiangkai

ng_kiangkai Member

What is awstat problem?

Hello,

sh4ka, may i know Aw-stats have a few vulnerabilities not fixed is means what? Please list some example for me, because i thinking to install on our server.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Collin

5. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

I personally can't stand Urchin on Cpanel servers, they offer zero support and there are constant problems with compatibility between the two programs.

6. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

urchin is definitely a resource hog compared to awstats and webalizer combined. Still, I prefer urchin for it's powerful GUI and nice pictures. :)

Therefore, I would turn off awstats and webalizer so that urchin will have more resources. Though, I do agree that for those who have a server with 400 sites, running urchin is way too much unless you have a very powerful server to handle them. If you don't have much sites in your server, running urchin would be great.

7. neo4242002

neo4242002 Well-Known Member

Urchin Stats eat my clients Disk quota quickly :mad: . Specially if you have high traffic sites. So I do not think Urchin is good option against Awstats and Webalizer. :)