The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent assistance WHM and DNS Editing

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by AndyD_OHD, Oct 18, 2007.

1. AndyD_OHD

AndyD_OHD Member

Hi All,
    New here, in Scotland. And not sure where to post.
    I transferred a client's domain from one company (Internetters) to 123-Reg, but now their IT Consultants want the domain sent back to the original Registrar. So I tried using the WHM 11.2.0 in CPanel 11.8.0-R16150.
    At the moment their emails are on my hosting account email servers and they do not want to access using Outlook/POP3 for some reason. They want the emails re-routed to their email server/firewall.
    I have used the "Edit DNS Zone" and altered the MX records to mail.domain.com and the A record to the email server of the client. However I also ticked the tickbox which states
    What I wondered was whether ticking the tick box is going to stop emails being forwarded to the client's email server or whether it means that the present email server at the Host is acting as a cache. The client's IT consultants have requested the transfer of the site to a new registrar which I have started, but at present the emails are only POP3 and webmail which they don't want to use, they want the emails to go to their email server/firewall.

Thanks
    Andy

#1 AndyD_OHD, Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Andy,

Assuming the domain is called 'domain.com' ...

/etc/localdomains should not contain domain.com

/etc/remotedomains should contain domain.com

mail.domain.com should resolve to the IP address on their end which will be accepting the incoming SMTP connections.

For instance, if the IP address on their end which will be accepting mail on TCP port 25 is 111.111.111.111., then you should have:

mail.domain.com. IN A 111.111.111.111

Then you should make sure the MX record points to mail.domain.com :

domain.com. IN MX 10 mail.domain.com.

Mike

#2 mtindor, Oct 18, 2007
  3. AndyD_OHD

AndyD_OHD Member

Hi Mike,

I have a reseller package with a hosting company. In my WHM/CPanel I have set

domain.com. 14400 IN MX 0 mail.domain.com.
    mail 14400 IN A IP Of firewall/email server

and right at the bottom of the page there is a tick box and I have ticked that. Sorry for my naivety. Where/how can I check the etc/localdomains and etc/remotedomains that you mention? Sorry but I am new to this.
    Is it wise to post the DNSReport?

I did find a tutorial HERE

It's 1:15am and off to bed shortly...

Andy

#3 AndyD_OHD, Oct 18, 2007
  4. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Andy, you will want to UNtick that option at the bottom of the DNS edit screen and then save. That _should_ remove the domain from /etc/localdomains and enter in /etc/remotedomains automatically.

You should also be able to go to a site like www.dnsstuff.com and query for the MX of that domain - and if it comes back saying the MX is mail.domain.com - then do a query for the A record for mail.domain.com and make sure its showing up as the IP of the firewall.

MIke

5. AndyD_OHD

AndyD_OHD Member

Is it possible for me to check the etc/localdomain results?
    I have a dnsreport which I have sent to you in a PM

6. AndyD_OHD

AndyD_OHD Member

The link I have sent is the result when the box is ticked. I'm not too sure how to interpret the results though. How does unticking the box affect things?

Am I right in believing it'll take 24 hours for the MX settings to become active/propogate so that emails will be re-routed?

7. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No it won't take 24 hours. Depending on the times specified in the SOA of your zone file, it'll probably take no more than 12 hours. It'll happen immediately for many people sending mail. But if the sender was somebody who sent mail sometime recently before the MX change, their ISPs nameservers or their nameservers are probably caching the old MX record, which it may cash for typically up to 12 hours (again depending on SOA values). But if the mail system that is sending mail to your domain hasn't sent mail to your domain in quit ea while, they likely wont have cached MX records for your domain and thus that mail will deliver immediately.

When to tick: If you are using Postini, Messagelabs, a Barracuda spam firewall, or some other spam scrubbing device to filter mail before it goes to your server BUT your server is still handling the final mail delivery with all of the mailboxes, you'll end up setting the MX's to Postinis or Messagelabs MX (or wherever), and then they'll be set up to deliver the scrubbed mail to your mailbox. Your server will be handling the mail, but your MXs will be pointing elsewhere. This is when you want to make sure that box is checked so that your mail server will continue to handle mail locally for that domain even though your MXs are pointed elsewhere.

BUT, in your case your server is NOT handling local mail and your MXs are pointed elsewhere - so that box should NOT be checked.

Mike

8. AndyD_OHD

AndyD_OHD Member

Many thanks for your excellent explanation, and advice on this matter Mike.
    I just joined tonight and am impressed with the advise offered. But the PM word restriction is a pain.... lol

Many thanks
    Andy