The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT: cpanel access/ftp/apache

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Nathan D., Jul 28, 2004.

1. Nathan D.

Nathan D. Well-Known Member

OK, last night I accidently messed up the /etc/passwd file (I think that's where it is) which caused root access to stop...We fixed this however I made a stupid move and accidently did a forceful reboot...After the system rebooted basically none of the services were working so we also fixed that...But had a problem with Apache not restarting. So I tryed updating it and etc and tryed some other things and when that didn't work, I rebuilt apache and checked the "reset httpd.conf" file option. So we got it fixed and all working but when I reset the httpd.conf this caused tons of problems...The sites didn't even work at all so I replaced the new httpd.conf with the one we were using before we reset it. This got the sites working (up and able to access via web) but now no one has cpanel access and no one can access FTP. Please tell me there is a way for me to restore everyones' cpanel and ftp access.

Also, a few days ago (this is when everything was running and fine and still after everything isn't running fine), my sites started loading really slow so I restarted the box and then went to one of the sites (pretty graphic intensive) assuming I was the only one trying to access the sites and it loaded extremely slow so I closed my browser, opened ssh, typed "top" to watch the CPU usage and then went to that site again. When I did I noticed Apache was using 20-99% of the CPU while it was loading the site (which took about 5-7 seconds) and also Mysql was using quite alot also. Does anyone have any ideas why Apache and MySQL would start acting up like this after a certain period of time? How can I get running like it was before? Any good permanent optimization suggestions?

Please respond with all the knowledge you have. Any information helps. Thanks in advance.

2. ADOS

ADOS Member

I assume you have auto backups going somewhere?

If so simplest thing to do without trying to find the exact problem if you are in a hurry is to setup a new machine and install CPanel.

I have done this before and restored back to last update within a couple hours.

3. Nathan D.

Well I make weekly backups...but I don't know if I want to go through the trouble/downtime of redoing the system.

4. ADOS

ADOS Member

Just a suggestion, if you had another machine with a decent connection to the internet you could have it 100% done within 2 hours at most.

5. Nathan D.

Is there anyway I can reload the box with my current OS (redhat linux 9.0) and install cPanel remotely?