The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

urgent help anyone--mails not coming/going

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by radical, Dec 11, 2004.

1. radical

radical Well-Known Member

hello

all of a sudden, all mails coming in and goingout have stopped for my domains on our server. when i logged into WHM, i got a popup with this message : -
    The server was unable to lookup an an A entry for its hostname (my.servername.net). This is generally because the entry was never added. However this could also be the result of your nameserver(s) being down. If you would like to attempt to automaticlly add the entry"

Also i am getting a security warning in the WHM main page which reads "Security Warning, your resolver configuration contains 127.0.0.1 (localhost). For security reasons, we recommend that you use a non-local dns resolver. Click here to change your configuration."

I have not changed any setting, now no mails are coming in nor outgoing mails are reaching the receipient. can someone suggest what is wrong.

thanks
    Sunil

2. Charles Sweeney

You must have your hostname (my.servername.net) in your DNS.

3. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

If your mail is down... and maybe even all your websites... (basically you can only access the server by ip address) then it sounds like your dns is down or misconfigured.

For the security warning... you need to remove the '127.0.0.1' ip address that you find in there and replace it with your public ip for your server... if you are not running a dns server on the server itself, then use the nameserver's that were likely provided to you by your host. This security problem has already been used to hack servers and sites, so the sooner it is fixed the better... (though you really should have been a bit more up to date on updates and fixed it several weeks ago). I hope you don't have clients on this server?

Basically it sounds like your dns is down... which likely means that none of your domains will work, and of course email won't get to you either. Basically anything that uses your domain names on your server won't be working... unless you have backup dns somewhere else (not on your server). If you still have access to the sites on your machine, then the dns information has likely not expired yet... but you only have a few days, or even less, from when your dns went down to fix it. (Don't you do any monitoring?)