The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT! How to setup FTP account for root?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iceangel89, Apr 2, 2009.

1. iceangel89

iceangel89 Registered

i am required to upload files to a site.

subdomain.domain.com

i got a WHM. so i think i need to setup an account 1st? so i created a package then tried an account. but i got

Account Creation Status: failed (You cannot setup a domain that is the same as
    the servers hostname )
    You cannot setup a domain that is the same as the servers hostname

how can i fix this? i guess this is because WHM is on the same server as my domain.com... hmm but the way i login to WHM/CPanel is IP? something like that? EDIT: i tried another domain like a co.cc 1 and it works

i need help urgently. please some1 help

#1 iceangel89, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You can change the Hostname from WHM under "WHM >> Networking Setup >> Hostname" to something other than 'subdomain.domain.com' like a 'server.domain.com' and then create the account 'subdomain.domain.com'. Should not give you an error. The subject of your post is creating FTP account for root. Why don't you connect via WinSCP using the root login details.

3. iceangel89

iceangel89 Registered

thanks for the fast reply. whats WinSCP. and i will try the changing hostname method now

and off topic... whats

Use the nameservers specified at the Domain's Registrar (ignore locally specified nameservers)

Overwrite any existing DNS zones for the account

abt in add account?

UPDATE:

i got

Account Creation Status: failed (Sorry, a DNS entry for women.myfatpocket.com already exists, please delete it first (from all servers in the dns cluster) )
    Sorry, a DNS entry for women.myfatpocket.com already exists, please delete it first (from all servers in the dns cluster)

do i delete the DNS entry like what the message says? and i tried going to server.mydomain.com its not found ... isit becos DNS takes sometime to update?

#3 iceangel89, Apr 2, 2009
  4. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It is another way of uploading data on a server. SCP uses SSH protocol and you can use the root login and password to connect to your server and upload data.

and off topic... whats

When a server is setup, you setup local name servers in "WHM >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel/WHM setup" that are added to each DNS zone created on the server.
    Suppose you are creating an account domain.com, this overwriting option will check the name servers at the registrar of domain.com and add these name servers to the zone, instead of the local name servers setup in WHM as I explained above. You can check the registrar name servers from the DNS report. Go to intodns.com to check the name servers of your domain at the registrar.

You can remove the DNS zone fo this domain from WHM under "WHM >> DNS Functions >> Delete a DNS Zone". Make sure only a zone is present and this domain is not created properly in a cPanel account.

#4 JawadArshad, Apr 2, 2009
  5. PDW

PDW Well-Known Member

You could always upload the files to one of your own accounts then SSH in and move them to where you want them

6. iceangel89

iceangel89 Registered

hmm, i tried WinSCP...

i created a key in WHM but its a string. do i just save as the "whatever file format" WinSCP wants? something like putty or something like that