The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent Neomail "lifetime" question

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Wallaby, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Well-Known Member

We have a server with the following current version information:

WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-R119
    RedHat Enterprise 3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

We're using the "Release" tree for updates.

I note that in a new CPanel server build Neomail is no longer available. I'm seeing info in other threads that Neomail has disappeared from existing servers following a CPanel upgrade.

We have a customer who absolutely depends on Neomail and need to know what the timescale is for Neomail being removed by a CPanel update to our server, if indeed that is what will happen.

It looks likely that we will have to set up a standalone Neomail solution for them, not using CPanel, perhaps on a VPS. Can anyone shed any light on how easy or otherwise this might be? Advice on who we might outsource this task to? It will need to look as much like the current CPanel implementation as possible.

(PS: please don't say "they should just upgrade to Horde" or whatever -- rightly or wrongly the customer wishes to keep using Neomail for a further 6 months. I have no control over this timescale, I just have to try and keep my customer happy...)

2. WEB-PROS

WEB-PROS Well-Known Member

You can install neomail sepratly and then jsut add a link to it on cpanel or just tell them clients that need to use it. You can install Neomail anywhere, belongs its is setup correctly it will work.

3. Wallaby

AFAIK the issue is that CPanel is changing the way that mail is stored, to ?? MailDir, which means mail is stored one-file-per-message, rather that all the messages in one file, and Neomail cannot cope with the new format. So I think that just installing Neomail separately would not work?

4. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

Yes, Wallaby. There is a HUGE discussion about this in many threads regarding cPanel's move to MailDir (as opposed to MBOX) which NeoMail simply won't work with. The concensus is that you just can't use it anymore, and need to get your users moved over to Horde.

-- Matt

5. Wallaby

My customer requires a Neomail solution. Period.

At http://support.theplanet.com/knowledgebase/users/kb.php?id=10553 I found this:

"cPanel has moved from the mbox mailbox format to the maildir format. Neomail does not support maildir and has been disabled. It is not recommended but you can reconfigure your server to use mbox by changing /var/cpanel/cpanel.config to have maildir=0 instead of maildir=1"

Is this correct? Or is there another method to convert a server back from MailDir to mbox and then *guarantee* that Cpanel won't re-convert it? Will the /scripts/convert2maildir script convert back from MailDir to mbox?

(We have a freshly built CPanel server, currently using MailDir, we could do this on: existing stored email and mailboxes can be junked ok).

The only other alternative I can readily see is use Directadmin (which uses mbox) and install Neomail separately.

6. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

I just ran it to see what happens, and it DOES give you the option to:

1) Restore system to mbox (non-maildir) state.

Looks like you can do it! Give it a shot if you think it's best and let us know what happens. :)

Matt

7. Wallaby

Anyone got a view on whether we can get a conversion back to mbox to stick permanently (ie without CPanel automatically reconverting it at some point in the future)?

8. docenta

docenta Well-Known Member

Hello what mean to move to Horde only to start using Horde right ? Cause as I see the mail is same no matter you use horde or neomail. I think stop using Neomail is very good idea as long as this client is not so good and loading the server.

9. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

docenta, Wallaby has already made it clear that their client requires Neomail. Although I've never used Neomail, I can certainly understand having clients who are used to things being a certain way and an administrator who doesn't want to be *forced* to suddenly *force* his/her clients to change.

I'm glad I was already using Horde for my clients, otherwise I would have been super-pissed when I learned about the sudden MailDir conversion. Actually, I love the speed & other features of MailDir, but I do hate that I now no longer have access to the user's mailboxes from the main cPanel account without making a bunch of manual symlinks...

Anyway, I digress. MailDir gripes & Horde vs. Neomail has been discussed many times before, so I'd hate to see this thread get out of hand with more of the same.

Can anyone answer Wallaby's question? I'd like to know if cPanel will suddenly revert back too.

Actually, come to think of it, Wallaby, even though I've been using cPanel for quite a while now on a VPS, it wasn't until I switched VPS hosters that I learned about MailDir. My point is, I don't think it's an auto-update sort of thing. I just think it now happens by *default* for new installs & old cPanel users have to manually do the conversion.

Anyone else agree?

Matt

P.S. - I'm going to the cPanel conference in Houston next week and I'll be sure to ask if there is no answer by then. Sounds like you need a quick answer, though.

10. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

This has been discussed upteen times. Neomail will be history once you convert to maildir, which you should be doinging if you care about the security of your server, and Neomail will not be an option after that.

11. kdarray

kdarray Well-Known Member

I have done this

wallaby, i brought up a new server two weeks ago and did not realize courier-imap (maildir) was the default and I got the current or release build. I have always run Stable 114 on my servers with updates to everything set to Manual Only for the Stable Tree.

I downgraded to S114, still not knowing or understanding about the courier-imap mess. I moved several sites to this new server, and their mail was converted from mbox to maildir in the process and was messed up badly. I ran the conversion script and chose the option to convert maildir to mailbox. It did not completely fix their mailboxes though and I ran this option a couple of times.

I did another /scripts/upcp --force, and it went to layer2 (like it used to) and I got NeoMail back for my clients. I have the settings set to manual only for the Stable tree and the nightly upcp has left it alone. Personally, I still worry about a forced push from Cpanel, but it is staying with the mbox format ok.

12. Wallaby

Just for info, we eventually went back to the client and said we couldn't provide a Neomail solution that we would feel confident in, either on CPanel or another platform, and they said thanks for trying, we'll switch to Hotmail! Go figure...

(Aside: I wish some people would *read* threads instead of just weighing in with their unwanted and unhelpful "opinions". Sometimes what the customer wants may not be the ideal solution technically, but they are the customer and our job is to give them what they want if we possibly can...)

13. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

I still dont understand what it was that the client found so incredible about Neomail. We converted hundreds and hundreds of users from MBOX to Courier removing Neomail from their control panels over the past 6 months and we never lost one customer. So i find it hard to believe that there was some miraculous functionality in Neomail that was not in Squirrelemail or Horde. What was the gem? In fact, Neomail always tailed behind the others. Attahaments come to mind. So you lost that customer! Move on, it was probably not worth the hassle.

14. OCX

OCX Well-Known Member

a secure server vs an outdated script that a customer demands to use?..lol

thats a tuff decision aint it?..

in my words of wisdom...thats to damn bad..lol

and then turns to hotmail...:rolleyes:

15. docenta

How to make my box to use MailDir ? I am using Stable Cpanel S120.

16. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

run this as root on the ssh:

/scripts/convert2maildir

17. docenta

Ok I will. This will affect functionality of Neomail only right ? Horde and Squirrel will work fine as expected ?

18. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

You are correct, docenta. Only Neomail doesn't work with MailDir. Horde & Sq. Mail will work just fine (assuming MailDir was converted successfully).

-- Matt

19. docenta

Hello should I first upgrade to Release version of Cpanel and then run convert2maildir or forst to perform convert2maildir and then to upcp ?