The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT!!! Problem @ Backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by berkgun, May 16, 2006.

1. berkgun

berkgun Registered

i have fully generated backup. then terminated that account.. when i've restored it to another place... i saw that my main database is empty!!!!! 3000 users gone..... the servers uses ext3 file system... can i find my database???? :rolleyes:

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

About which database are you referring?

3. berkgun

berkgun Registered

mysql database...

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I was hoping for a little more detail than that! Let me try again.

You mentioned that after you restored an account backup, you noticed that your "main database" is empty and that "3000 users gone".

It was about these statements I was hoping for a little clarification.

Which one of the following is true:

1) You created an account on a server using a backup from a different server and then noticed that a specific database belonging to the account in question was not restored from the backup

2) You created an account on a server using a backup from a different server and then noticed that all users accounts on the server (on which you created the account) disappeared.

3) Neither 1 or 2 are true

If 1), try grabbing a backup of the database from the server from which the account came. If the account no longer exists on the source server, you're possibly out of luck.

If 2), I'm not sure what to say as this seems somewhat unlikely.

If 3), please provide more details

You could also check the backup to see whether the database contents exist within.

The sql files from which you can recover all database data should be present in backup.tar.gz/cpanelusername/mysql

Of course if, on the source server, you didn't set your backups to backup mysql data then it may not be present in the backup!

5. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you really do have 3000 users on your server, you may want to hire a sysadmin to help you out on this one! You'll get the problem solved much faster and with 3000 users you should easily be able to afford a small cost like that. It's going to be almost impossible to talk you through a solution here since you're obviously new to all this.

6. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

I think they meant the 3000 users might be records of members in a database. Always keep a copy before blowing something out of the water. Check your backup drive for an archived version.