The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent! Random Crash / High CPU

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mediacatch, Sep 1, 2003.

1. mediacatch

mediacatch Member

Server load (CPU) randomly goes up every 30 minutes and sometimes is fine for a few hours then does it again. It hits highs of 90 and even 120. Sometimes it crashes. Server was working perfectly on just 3 days ago and since then it has been doing this. One time it was crashing every 30 minutes on the spot. Server is not overloaded at all and everything seems to be OK. I even tried suspending a few of the high CPU users and still no luck.

Nothing has been changed to the server and apache status and everything seems very normal. It is almost like there is a hidden script/program or something. The extremely high load usually lasts for 2 minutes and then creeps back down and everything is fine. What can I do to find the exact problem and fix it? Please help!!! Thanks...

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. mickeymouse

mickeymouse Well-Known Member

Dear mediacatch,

Monitor what process are running in server, ps -aux reveals all process running in foreground and background.

Disable all unnessary services running if any.Since, you say every have an hour you get this problem.

Check logs for any doubtful entries.

I doubt some malicious script is made to run every half an hour to eat server resource and crash it. Check for all the cron jobs programmed to run. crontab -u <username> -l lists the cron job running for an user.

Regards,

3. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

Could this be because of mailman/qrunner? As in someone sends something to the mailling list, and that goes up in load substantially, consideirng it is fine for a few hours and then happens again.

4. iserwer

iserwer Member

Cron Jobs disble

Please tell me how disable a cron jobs to all users ?

Regards
    Lukas