Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

[URGENT] two nameservers on one server

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Tagor, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Tagor

Tagor Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have the following problem: I just bought a new server and my old server soon gets disconnected. I have a few hundred domains on the old server which I copied to the new server and I pointed the DNS to the new server by modifing the seperate DNS zone files. Now my old server soon gets disconnected and I haven't changed the nameservers of all those domains. So I have this setup:

Old server:
    ns1.olddomain.tld
    ns2.olddomain.tld

New server:
    ns1.newdomain.tld
    ns2.newdomain.tld

Is there a way to add the nameservers of the old server to the new server and then change the ip addresses at the registry? I haven't time to do a few hundred nameserver changes. So I want to change the ip address of the old nameserver and add it to the new server. I want both nameserver domains to be available.

I already tried just adding an A record to new server but that doesn't work.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Tagor

Tagor Well-Known Member

Well I now added it with two NS records and two A records. This is what the nameserver checks say:

olddomain.tld
    ns1.olddomain.tld -- new.ip.ad.dress
    ns2.olddomain.tld -- new.ip.ad.dress
    #### success

some-domain-which-is-on-the-new-server.tld
    ns1.olddomain.tld -- new.ip.ad.dress
    ns2.olddomain.tld -- new.ip.ad.dress
    Error: specified name server is not listed as NS record.
    Error: specified name server is not listed as NS record.
    Error: IP-address new.ip.ad.dress is not listed in your zone.
    Error: IP-address new.ip.ad.dress is not listed in your zone.
    Error: the MNAME in SOA says "ns1.newdomain.tld." is the primary name server.
    Error: name server and "ns1.olddomain.tld ." resolve both into new.ip.ad.dress
    Error: name server and "ns2.olddomain.tld ." resolve both into new.ip.ad.dress
    #### fail

Any help is really appriciated. Is it save to make the nameserver change even though I get those errors?