The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT: Why will upgrade not work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by erick_paper, Sep 4, 2005.

1. erick_paper

erick_paper Well-Known Member

I tried to upgrade from 10.1.something to the latest current build of WHM and Cpanel. After 30 odd minutes the process was hanging at some MD5 mismatch. So I killed it. Now my Cpanel is dead, WHM is dead, and running the cpanel update again is not working. What gives? Please tell me what we're supposed to do to update this thing, and if not, how to at least fallback to my original setup?

Thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

What do you mean "it's not working". What errors are you seeing if you run:

/scripts/upcp --force

If it hangs, have you checked /var/log/cpupdate.log and done an strace on the active PID of the upgrade process to see what it is doing?

3. erick_paper

The log file seems to be alright. Last 10 lines quoted below:

But the MD5 checksum is mismatching so it keeps downloading and redownloading. When /scripts/upcp --force is run the server keeps looping like this:

What can I do to overcome this?

#3 erick_paper, Sep 4, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  4. erick_paper

Could it be because that folder is CHATTR to disallow updates? Why doesn't cpanel update simply ignore these folders??

[Edit]
    It was the CHATTR settings. It has worked now. It is HIGHLY annoying that a simple update cannot honor my CHATTR settings, especially only interface files for templates. Hope that can be fixed.

#4 erick_paper, Sep 4, 2005
  5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

cPanel have repeatedly said that if you set cPanel files as immutable the update will break, and for good reason.

6. erick_paper

So how should customization be undertaken? I only need to change the look and feel of Horde, which I have spent days on. Right now, I overwrote the latest Horde folder with my old one -- everything in /usr/local/cpanel/base/horde -- and I now see the error:

What is this error about? Can I install the latest Horde in a new folder inside my Cpanel and still have the "http://DOMAIN.com:2096/NEWhorde/" available to all my accounts?

#6 erick_paper, Sep 4, 2005
  7. erick_paper

Wow, not just that. The upgrade has also changed my settings in "Tweak Settings" like I had disabled Analog web statistics, disabled Neomail, etc. It has reset them. What kind of feature is this? How do these configurations affect a new cpanel update? If everything is 'immutable' whats the point of setting things up?

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I have never see Tweak Settings parameters changed by a cPanel update so cannot help with that. WRT Horde, etc, the fact is that they're not customisable as part of cPanel, you wither use what is provided or install it separately into the cPanel account(s).