The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URL Forwarding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ManuelT, Jan 3, 2009.

1. ManuelT

ManuelT Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of domains that have fallen out of use but need to be kept for email. I thought that i may use a parking service to see if i could get them to pay for themselves however have a strange issue.

I can't transfer the DNS to the domain parking service since I need to retain email DNS records, so the only other option i have is to use URL forwarding. There are a number of ways to do this but i'm wondering if there is a way of doing it from within Cpanel/WHM.

2. Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann Active Member

Yep. Login to WHM, click on "DNS Functions", then "Setup/Edit Domain Forwarding".

3. ManuelT

ahh, I had a look/play with that but the wording wasn't clear to me.

Having a second look seems much more straight forward. however i've got a problem in that WHM assigns my second IP when all the domains i want forwarded are on the first IP. Is there any way or making it different or a real reason why it shouldn't be the first IP?

4. ManuelT

5. ManuelT

after some more research it appears that ou can't use your shared IP but it's not explained as to why.

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is a legacy function that does not receive much attention. It requires an IP address dedicated to the Forwarding VirtualHost it adds to httpd.conf. The domains you supply are added to a text file that is sourced by a CGI script that handles the redirects.

There is consideration for changing how this works, but it is not on the immediate agenda.

7. ManuelT

Thanks for the information Kenneth,

Couple of point. Why isn't this information in the manual? it would have saved me alot of time. Prehaps if cPanel can't include all the information, a user driven wiki may be a better solution.
    Secondary, while I understand there will be some legacy issue within any software, prehaps you could mark them so that users know that these option arn't given much attention.