The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usability suggestion for WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexheizer, Jan 8, 2006.

1. alexheizer

alexheizer Active Member

Just wanted to make a few usability suggestions based on my experiences with WHM as a web hosting provider. Everything works great in WHM, so this isn't a critique of anything, just an observation based on how I work every day. There are a lot of things that can be done through WHM, which is why I am thankful it exists, and that makes a lot of menu items.

If the left menu was rearranged to put the daily repetitive tasks at the top of the menu, it would make things easier to use, at least for web hosters. For example, I am only going to have to update the server time once, if at all, and configure Postgres or a Language File very rarely. From a usability standpoint, these should be at the bottom of the very long left-menu. When I have a service fail and need to check the server status, I want to be able to log in and have those functions available at my fingertips without having to search for them. Likewise for creating a new user account. I'd suggest the top part of the menu be something along the lines of the Server Status, followed by System Reboot (for emergencies), then Account Functions and Multi Account Functions, DNS Functions, Account Information, Packages, and so on. This would put the important everyday stuff "above the fold" in WHM, and put all of the lesser-used configuration items down farther, out of the way. I park domains a lot more frequently than I install new cPanel themes or FP extensions.

As I said, these are just suggestions based on observations. Others may not agree or care, but I thought I'd make the suggestions in case it's able to help improve cPanel in some way.

Have a nice day!
    Alex

2. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Your desire is good, but cpanel have never shown a desire to improve usability. Just look at the bugzilla feature/suggestions list and you'll see stuff going back 2 years without even a comment from them.

cpanel seems content to ride the wave of their own popularity, without much regard to usability or things like that. After all, what are you going to do? Use another system?

:rolleyes:

3. alexheizer

alexheizer Active Member

Actually, our datacenter offers not only cPanel on their servers, but also Plesk and Ensim. And, having to deal with transfering clients I've seen that there are other options out there for managing hosting accounts on a server. Sometimes customers make final decisions for choosing to purchase software based on usability, and these days every advantage helps. Good tools are less so if it's a hassle to use them, especially when other options are available when ordering your server in the first place, sometimes for less cost.

Maybe in version 11...

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I do find cPanel to be really quite a pain from a usability/aesthetics POV too. It looks like it was designed by programmers, not designers ;) That said, there are some nice 3rd party themes for end-user cPanel.

If you do want to make ny enhancement suggestions, and as electric said YMMV, you need to log an enhancement request in bugzilla to draw them to cPanel's attention:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=38350