The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use backup to move a CPanel account?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by masonite, Sep 10, 2011.

1. masonite

masonite Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In CPanel, you can do a full backup of a site. If you want to move this site to a new web host also using CPanel, is it feasible to create a new account on the new host and then restore the whole backup?

I ask because I can't make sense of other methods of moving a site from one server to another.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes and no. Yes you can surely do it that way, but no, you wouldn't create the account first.

What are you having issues with using the other methods?

3. masonite

masonite Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your reply, infopro. (I may be guilty of double posting, as I've asked a similar question here, where I was asking about the other method. Under Transfers in WHM, you are first asked for "Remote Server Address:", which I can't get to work. I just keep getting an error when I check the SSH connection.)

I've read a few threads in these forums, some saying not to use a backup and some saying it's OK to do it. This one seems to recommend it. It mentions that you need to upload the full backup to the /home directory. I'm not quite sure what that means, or how to do that. Each CPanel account seems to go as high as /home/username, but I assume that's not the folder intended. But I can't find anywhere in WHM where I can access a /home folder to upload something.

So, if it's possible to pull in backup accounts to a new server, and one shouldn't create an account first, my question is:

- how do you upload the backup to the /home folder?

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Do you have SSH access to this server?

5. masonite

masonite Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm sure I do, in practice. But I don't really understand SSH. I can connect to my websites on this server via SFTP. My WHM account is at host.mydomain.com, and I found that I can log in to that via SFTP—just like with a regular website. Does the home folder there represent the /home folder for this WHM account?

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    No. There are mulitple threads on the forums with lots of good Info on moving a cPanel backup.

Here's one to get you started by cPanelTristan.
    Here's a few more for reference.

7. masonite

masonite Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, I did a lot of reading before posting, and have checked your links. Plenty of info, but most not easy to understand fully. O well! Looks like I have to get my head around SSH before anything else.

On this docs page /WHMDocs/CopyMultiple it says

It doesn't say what to do if that test fails, though, which is the case for me, and is pretty disappointing. So that method is out.

One last question, then. If I manage to find a way to transfer a site, I get a vague sense that the system may make some kind of change such that the DNS is automatically changed (using an IP address or whatever). Is that the case? I'm not sure I really want that. I just want to transfer the whole site and then redirect the domain manually.

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If the SSH connection test fails, there's a reason for that. Username, password or port number would be the first things to check.

On the old server, your account is on a Package. When you move the account there should be at least a similar, if not identical Package created there as well. If not identical, you will need to upgrade/downgrade the account to the existing Package on the new server and make sure its owned by your Reseller or root user, who ever owns your accounts.

What happens when you try using the 'Copy an account from another server with account password' tool in WHM?

WHM >Transfers > Copy an account from another server with account password

Leave give a new IP addresss unchecked. If needed you can change the sites IP later.

9. masonite

masonite Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Infopro.

It must be port number. I'm not sure how to find out the port number the old server wants me to use.

Thanks for the tip about packages. I'll make sure they match.

That looks like a viable option. Just wasn't sure about this bit:

That bit in bold is pretty arcane. Do you know what it's telling me? Same as what domain name? Surely not the domain name of the site I'm moving across?

Could I just confirm: If I do a site transfer like this, anyone who visits the site will still see the site on the old server until I redirect the domain. Is that right?

I think I've worked out the SSH connection, so I'm still leaning towards the transfer method described here:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f49/guide-...ler-server-account-vps-root-server-63155.html

#9 masonite, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  10. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes, if the domain name is still resolving to the old server, you can use the domain name (FQDN) or the IP of the server.

Your current site should still work fine until you change your nameservers at your domain name registrar. That is correct.

Dalem, and the others in that thread know what they are talking about. But you are still going to need to know how to login as root here at some point, either way you go.

If you have another account already setup on the new server and it works fine, you already have an FTP account that works. You could for example (on the old server) do a Full Account Backup and use that other account's FTP to send it to. This gets the file over. Then you login via SSH (on new server) and all you've got to do is move the file. And then restore it via WHM or command line (mentioned earilier in this thread at that link I posted).

11. masonite

masonite Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for clarifying that. :)

Having successfully connected to the new server via SSH (yay! ... although I have no idea what the resulting root@host [~]# means, and hope it's something good!) I was planning to use Dalem's method. But I hadn't noticed that the backup files weren't actually on the new server yet. I do have sites already set up on the new server.

So if I were to upload the backup to one of those folders, I'm still not sure how to move the backup to one of the recommended folders, such as /home. Is there an SSH command I need to know?

Thanks for your ongoing patience. :)

12. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    cPanelTristan's post and Dalem's are basically doing the same thing. cPanelTristan explains how to do it without moving the backup to the public_html directory first as Dalem's does. Both explain how to get the backup to the /home/ directory.

Once there you can either use SSH, or, you can use WHM instead. (might be easier and safer for you)

WHM > Backup > Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file

Type in a username, hit Restore button.

A quick warning, running the wrong command via SSH as root, can destroy a server, depending on the command.

Check what your doing and be sure of it before you do it.

13. masonite

masonite Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, that's why I'm so hesitant to touch this. All the same, I think I can see what's required now, so I guess it's time to bite the bullet and give it a go. :)

Thanks again for your help.

14. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    As long as you are not in too much of a hurry that mistakes happen, anything is possible.

Good luck! :)