The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Use callouts to verify' vs 'Verify the existence of email senders.'

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Bradl3y, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Bradl3y

Bradl3y Member

I am trying to troubleshoot some problems sending mail from one of our WHM/cPanel 11 servers to another WHM/cPanel 11 server. Both servers have the "** Verify the existence of email senders." option enabled. I can successfully send an email from brad@server1.com to brad@server2.com, but i can not send an email from brad@server2.com to brad@server1.com, i get the sender verify failed response. First we thought it was because of an incorrect rDNS, but we fixed that, and it still fails.

I noticed there are two different options in the exim configuration editor:

"Use callouts to verify the existence of email senders. Basiclly, exim will connect to the mail exchanger for a given address to make sure it exists before accepting mail from it." which is disabled on both servers.

"** Verify the existence of email senders." which is enabled on both servers.

What is the difference and which one should I be using? Any ideas why sender verification would be failing?

An interesting note, if i send from root@host.server2.com to brad@server1.com, it sends successfully, host.server2.com is the FQDN hostname of server2.

2. Bradl3y

Bradl3y Member

I figured out why Server1 was rejecting mail from brad@server2.com. In the past, the server2.com domain was hosted on Server1. When I moved the Server2 domain to Server2, I left the account on Server1. So when Server1 was attempting to verify the existence of brad@server2.com, it recognized server2.com as a local account, and checked for brad@server2.com locally, which does not exist. I deleted the server2.com account from server1, and it works.

I am still curious what the difference between those two settings in the exim configuration editor is. Does anybody know?

3. Andrew Boring

Andrew Boring Member

"Verify the existence of email senders" will verify that the sender domain exists in DNS. It's a good idea to keep this checked.

"Use callouts..." will actually attempt to open an SMTP connection to the sending server and proceed with an SMTP conversation to determine if the sender address exists on the sending server.