Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED Use cPanel as External Email Server?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by therealcj96, Oct 14, 2017.

1. therealcj96

therealcj96 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi everyone,

So I have a hosting package with Hostgator which includes hosting, domains, emails, and so on. Now for the domains attached to this hosting package, I can easily go on Cpanel to create email accounts. But I have some other domains attached to other hosting packages, and for those domains I would like to use my hostgator hosting package just as an email server, while the website is hosted somewhere else. I know this is possible with email providers like G Suite, and Zoho Mail, where you set up an account, and change the DNS records of your domain, so that email goes through them. I was wondering if there was a way for doing the same with my hostgator hosting package. That I change the DNS records for my other domains, and point the email settings towards my hostgator hosting package to make email accounts, while the website itself continues being hosted somewhere else. Any ideas as to how I can do this?

Thanks in advance for all input.

2. Jcats

Jcats Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes you can, just add the domain to cPanel either as an Alias or Addon domain

And then you would point the MX record to the server hostname where your HG account resides, or you could update the mail.domain.com record, change it to an A record if not already, and assign the IP of your HG server to it.

Then change the MX record to mail.domain.com

Make sure to check the Routing section in cPanel and have it set to local, it should already be but it may detect it as Remote.

And then of course, you can create your email accounts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. therealcj96

therealcj96 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you very much for your help. I did exactly as you said, and it works flawlessly. Just saved myself some money every month. :)

4. cPWilliamL

cPWilliamL cP Technical Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I am glad to see @Jcats was able to help! I'll mark this thread as solved for now.

Thanks,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...