The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use cPanel as mail server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Mosibat, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Mosibat

Mosibat Registered

Hi all

I want to use CPanel as a mail server for some domain which is not hosted on CPanel.
    Since the domain is not hosted on CPanel (it is hosted on a windows sever on another machine) when I go to CPanel emails the domain is not on the list box of available domains to CPanel.

My question is:
    1) What should I do in CPanel to make the doamin available to CPanel (sure I cannot use Addon domain since I want to keep website on a separate server)?
    2) What DNS records I should add to point the machine which has the CPanel installed on?

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can create the domain as either its own account or an addon domain on your cPanel server. It does not matter that this will configure the domain in Apache. Since the DNS records do not point to your cPanel server, any Web content on the cPanel server will never be served.

Adding the domain, either as its own account or as an addon domain, will also create a DNS zone. Edit the DNS zone using Main >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone, and select Local Mail Exchanger under Email Routing.

Note that there is an theme named x3mail which provides only mail-related functions in cPanel. If you add the domain as its own account and select the x3mail theme, users will be able to log into cPanel and use mail-related functions (such as to add or remove mailboxes) but not be presented with options to use anything not related to mail.

3. Mosibat

Mosibat Registered

When I try to add the domain in CPanel using AddOn Domains the following error occures:

Error from park wrapper: Using nameservers with the following IPs: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx... Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

I don't have administrator privileges on CPanel machine.

#3 Mosibat, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In this instance, you would need to ask the hosting provider to add the domain for you and explain what you are trying to do with the domain.