Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Use Cpanel b/up to x-fer to another host ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mccmikey, Jul 5, 2003.

1. mccmikey

mccmikey Member

G'day :)

Consise form:

Old Host: Cpanel -> Backup Site -> FTP -> (New host or temp space)
    New Host: [WHM set domain, package = oldhost] -> Cpanel -> Restore a Home backup -> URL ??

Long Form:

I have a site on my current host. I can back it up succcessfully, and use FTP to point it to the new host. But once it's there, I cannot simply restore the file as it goes in to a subdirectory (understandably) - however the fact that the backup restores successfully confirms that the tar file was intact.

Is there any way I can do the following:

1. - Perform the backup, and FTP to some temporary site, where the backup file will then be available by FTP

2. - Create the new account in WHM

3. - Choose "Restore a Home directory" and instead of browsing for a local file, give it the URL.

Being a dial-up user, it is not practical for me to browse for a local, 300mb file.

Am I way off course here? Back in an earlier release of cPanel I once clicked on a backup file by mistake, and it overwrote my entire site - but it doesn't seem to work that way any more. (A good thing in some ways *grin*)

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. mccmikey

mccmikey Member

It didn't quite work that way. Apart from other complications, there was no way to import the passwords (shadow) to the new account. I'll post a howto shortly...

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

3. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

You could untar the backup via the file manager in cpanel and copy the subdirectories within the backup to the appropriate locations.

I am still looking forward to seeing your How-to tho... :)

4. mccmikey

mccmikey Member