Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Use cPanel for webhosting without DNS/email

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by 0884094, Oct 14, 2016.

1. 0884094

0884094 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, I just want cPanel to host a few hundred websites but I don't want to use it for email or DNS.

I have a domain foo.com (DNS with Namecheap) and I've configured "*.foo.com" as a wildcard resolving to my cPanel server IP address. Thus any customer can instantly choose "bob.foo.com" and the name resolution is already in place & working. I then use the cPanel/WHM API to create an account for bob using hostname "bob.foo.com". If bob later wants to overlap his own domain "example.com" (about 20% of my customers do), then he enters that in my admin control panel and I use the cPanel/WHM API (cpanel_xmlapi_module=Park&cpanel_xmlapi_func=park) to park "example.com" onto his account.

It's all seems to have been working fine for ~3 years. In WHM -> Tweak Settings, I've enabled "Allow Remote Domains" even though the docs say only "Warning: Do not enable this option. It can cause serious security issues."

Questions:

* Is there a way to tell cPanel to *NOT* create DNS zones and email rules for these domains? Currently if I go to WHM -> Edit Zone File then I see ~1000 zone files, including for some customer domains that were never set up properly or have since left. I don't want that... right?

* Is there any more in-depth explanation of "Allow Remote Domains"? This page Tweak Settings - Domains - Documentation - cPanel Documentation just says not to use it... why the #@$@# is it a setting then?

Basically, when I give cPanel a customer domain name, I want to ONLY use that in Apache conf files to correct map HTTP requests... not for anything else.

People talk about /etc/remotedomains but that seems to be for email.

Thanks!

#1 0884094, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can disable your name server via:

"WHM Home » Service Configuration » Nameserver Selection"

This will keep the zones, but disable the DNS server itself, as some functions of cPanel/WHM relay on the existence of the zone files.

You can disable email services via:

"WHM Home » Service Configuration » Service Manager"

Additionally, you can choose which features show up in cPanel using:

"WHM Home » Packages » Feature Manager » Feature List"

The following thread includes an explanation of this option:

Allow Remote Domains

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...