The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use cPanel for webhosting without DNS/email

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by 0884094, Oct 14, 2016.

1. 0884094

0884094 Member

Nov 14, 2013
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, I just want cPanel to host a few hundred websites but I don't want to use it for email or DNS.

I have a domain (DNS with Namecheap) and I've configured "*" as a wildcard resolving to my cPanel server IP address. Thus any customer can instantly choose "" and the name resolution is already in place & working. I then use the cPanel/WHM API to create an account for bob using hostname "". If bob later wants to overlap his own domain "" (about 20% of my customers do), then he enters that in my admin control panel and I use the cPanel/WHM API (cpanel_xmlapi_module=Park&cpanel_xmlapi_func=park) to park "" onto his account.

It's all seems to have been working fine for ~3 years. In WHM -> Tweak Settings, I've enabled "Allow Remote Domains" even though the docs say only "Warning: Do not enable this option. It can cause serious security issues."

* Is there a way to tell cPanel to *NOT* create DNS zones and email rules for these domains? Currently if I go to WHM -> Edit Zone File then I see ~1000 zone files, including for some customer domains that were never set up properly or have since left. I don't want that... right?

* Is there any more in-depth explanation of "Allow Remote Domains"? This page Tweak Settings - Domains - Documentation - cPanel Documentation just says not to use it... why the #@$@# is it a setting then?

Basically, when I give cPanel a customer domain name, I want to ONLY use that in Apache conf files to correct map HTTP requests... not for anything else.

People talk about /etc/remotedomains but that seems to be for email.

#1 0884094, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016 at 4:36 AM
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

You can disable your name server via:

"WHM Home » Service Configuration » Nameserver Selection"

This will keep the zones, but disable the DNS server itself, as some functions of cPanel/WHM relay on the existence of the zone files.

You can disable email services via:

"WHM Home » Service Configuration » Service Manager"

Additionally, you can choose which features show up in cPanel using:

"WHM Home » Packages » Feature Manager » Feature List"

The following thread includes an explanation of this option:

Allow Remote Domains

Let us know if you have any additional questions.