The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use Datacenter DNS in addition to Private Name Server simultaneously

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by wcpanel, Mar 10, 2012.

1. wcpanel

wcpanel Registered

I run a private DNS server on my dedicate box for the websites served from the same box.

Recently I started to use a monitoring service to monitor the uptime of my DNS server. I have noticed there are outages from time to time, much more than I would ever think was possible.

Now I'm worried and trying to find a way to improve the situation. I'm wondering if it is possible for me to use my Datacenter DNS on top of my Private DNS.

Right now my DNS for websites look like:
    ns1.mydomain.com
    ns2.mydomain.com

I'm thinking of changing them to something like this:
    ns1.mydomain.com
    ns2.mydomain.com
    ns1.mydatacenter.com
    ns2.mydatacenter.com

And have those extra DNS entries there. Would this be possible, and if so how would I set those up?
    Also, if this is even possible, would adding those extra Datacenter DNS entries add reliability?

Thank you!

2. minosjl

minosjl Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I think so. all you need to do is add your data center name servers at the registrar end and create the updated DNS records of your domains at the data center name server end.

Thank you.