The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use Gmail and Exim together?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by SludgeMeister, May 27, 2014.

1. SludgeMeister

SludgeMeister Member

Hi there,

Hoping someone with some knowledge of this might be able to help me.

I use Google Apps Gmail for several domains/accounts.

There is one account on my server that I have elected to stick with using Cpanel/WHM Exim to send and receive email. Mostly because this account uses Joomla and one of the Joomla components sends many, many emails (notification emails) on a daily basis and I fear being penalized by Gmail for this. Thus, I use Joomla SMTP running through Exim for the Joomla email (it has it's own email account).

Naturally, I have a few other email accounts set up for this domain (such as my personal email address) and at the moment I use Roundcube to receive emails to and send emails from any of these accounts.

However, I don't like Roundcube/Squirelmail/Horde and several of the people with email addresses on this account are familiar with using Gmail and would prefer using it - So, would love to be able to use Gmail when interacting with any of my email addresses (aside from the email account that Joomla uses).

I am totally aware of how to set up Google Apps Gmail for a domain, but this would take over total control of email and that would include piping Joomla through Gmail which I don't want to do.

So my question is; Is there any way that I could leave Exim handle my server email specifically for Joomla but use Gmail to send/recieve for any of the other accounts?

I know I could set up a forwarded so that any email sent to any of the email addresses gets forwarded to whatever gmail address but I'd still want to maintain the use of my domain as the "From" address (user@domain.com) and not have to have user@gmail.com

I've tried to explain this as clearly as possible, sorry if it's confusing!

Hoping someone could help me out.

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. SludgeMeister

SludgeMeister Member

Thanks Michael! This was the perfect solution. Never knew of that feature.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator