The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

use many user to access at WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ker, May 7, 2010.

1. ker

ker Member

Hello,

I would like create many users to use WHM as a root user.

I vs already put my users in a Wheel group, but they can just connect by SSH.

Anyone knows a way?

thanks

2. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Wheel group is used to to restrict access server via SSH to those users only and not used to allow root access to users. You can give WHM root level access to cPanel users by creating cPanel users through the normal procedure, giving them reseller privileges and then allowing them 'Everything' under "Reseller Center >> Edit Privileges/Nameservers". Note that this is not a recommended option as these users will be super users and able to modify/change any user under any reseller.

3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Speaking strictly as a security consultant, I have to tell you that what you ask is extremely ill conceived and highly dangerous.

Even if the extra users have legitimate reason to have root access, you are exponentially multiplying the account compromise potential as only one of those accounts would need to be compromised to compromise the entire server and all other accounts and in security you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Now with that lecture given, here is the answer to your questions:

You discussed TWO SEPARATE items --- SSH and WHM

Regarding WHM, the accounts are setup by setup by giving the user accounts reseller privileges in "Reseller Center" and adding the flag to allow root access (also in reseller settings).

Regarding SSH, this is where you would add the user to wheel. It is not necessary to add the user to wheel for them to have "root" WHM access.

Again, none of this is recommended or advised :rolleyes:

4. ker

ker Member

Great, exactly what I wanted :)

I think I gonna create some account in resseller.

Because I used WHM as in internal use.