Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Use modsecurity / CSF to block all common cms logins?

Discussion in 'Security' started by GeekOnTheHill, Jan 4, 2019.

1. GeekOnTheHill

GeekOnTheHill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good morning.

One of my cPanel servers hosts only a few domains owned by the same client, none of which use a CMS. All of the sites are hand-coded in PHP.

We get an absurd number of requests on non-existent default CMS login pages (wp-login.php, for example). I have to assume that they're all malicious, so I'd like to use modsecurity and CSF to temp block every IP address that attempts to access those pages even once. There's no legitimate reason why anyone would be trying to access them, and we have no plans to ever implement a CMS on this server; so I figure I may as well block them at the firewall.

First question: Is this a bad idea?

Second question: If it's not a bad idea, which pages should I block? I personally don't use CMSs except for one WP installation on another server, so I really have little knowledge of them other than that WordPress seems to be the most popular.

Third question: Assuming this isn't a horrid idea, any suggestions for the rule itself would be appreciated. I have little experience or familiarity with writing custom rules, so I'd rather ask than break something.

Thanks,

Richard

2. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea however writing and maintaining all those rules is going to consume a lot of your time including the research into specifically which files to block.

Serving a 404 code is pretty lightweight to the server. So having some of these is not really a big deal and since you're not actually using it poses almost no risk whatsoever.

If it annoys you what I would suggest is using the 404 block rule in csf. Say after 15 404 errors then csf will temp block the ip.

Settings for this are in the csf.conf. Search on 404 I dont recall the exact wording of it but it's easy to set up.

Don't set it too low otherwise you may get some false positives from your clients or developers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    GeekOnTheHill likes this.
  3. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This might get you started: blog.pheonixsolutions.com/block-wordpress-login-attacks-csf/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    #4 keat63, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  5. GeekOnTheHill

GeekOnTheHill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks.

My reason for considering an outright block is that a person attempting to access a well-known but non-existent login page is almost certainly a malicious actor, and blocking them completely would prevent them from trying any other tricks from that IP for the duration of the block.

Of course, a targeted human attacker could always use a different IP and avoid accessing that particular page on subsequent tries; but most of these attacks are scripted, and I doubt that too many robots have the presence of mind to figure out what's going on when they're blocked.

Richard

6. GeekOnTheHill

GeekOnTheHill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you.

Richard

7. GeekOnTheHill

GeekOnTheHill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  8. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1). Definitely not a bad idea.
    These IPs are revealing to us they most likely hacked sites/servers (also likely part of a group of compromised servers with a centralized control)
    An IP running dictionary attacks wp-login.php today may very well be running attacks on a newly discovered, unpatched ssh vulnerability tomorrow.
    With that in mind I suggest you consider permanent blocking in csf.deny rather than temp blocking.
    CSF settings for this can be found in another post at...
    modsec rule 942100 not being blocked, status 200

2). Pages to block.
    Code:
    Wordpress
    domain.com/wp-login.php

Wordpress xmlrpc
    domain.com/xmlrpc.php

Joomla
    domain.com/administrator

Drupal
    domain.com/user/login

Magento 1
    domain.com/index.php/admin/

Magento 2
    domain.com/admin
    3). If you are certain you do not have (and will not have in the future) any URIs on your server with the phrases (login or xmlrpc or admin) then the following rule should suit.
    Code:
    # Deny POST to some default CMS login pages
    SecRule REQUEST_METHOD "@streq POST" \
        "msg:'Deny POST to CMS login pages rule is being hit',\
        id:19000001,\
        phase:1,\
        t:none,\
        log,\
        auditlog,\
        deny,\
        chain"
        SecRule REQUEST_FILENAME "@pm login xmlrpc admin" \
            "t:none"
    4). I don't recommend using the CSF 404 Block Rule set any lower than 100-200 or something as simple as a missing theme image can lock out site visitors.

5). The 2 CSF custom regex rules linked to above both do only temp blocks (1 hour) on (possibly) limited ports 80, 443
    Code:
    return ("Failed WordPress login from",$1,"wordpress","5","80,443","3600");
    If you choose to do things that way (entirely in csf custom regex) read the example in /etc/csf/regex.custom.pm
    to learn how to block permanently on all ports.

#8 fuzzylogic, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  9. GeekOnTheHill

GeekOnTheHill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you very much.

I'm wary of permanently blocking an IP because it may be a dynamic address or a public proxy. But than again, I believe the default PERMBLOCK is actually only 24 hours anyway.

Something like this, with certain safeguards built in, might actually be a basis for a useful honeypot to generate a rotating malicious IP RBL.

Richard

10. fuzzylogic

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think you are misunderstanding LF_PERMBLOCK.
    It is a way to add a repeat temporary block offender to the csf.deny file.
    If LF_PERMBLOCK_COUNT temp blocks in LF_PERMBLOCK_INTERVAL period then add IP to csf.deny.

csf.deny is limited to the number of IPs set in DENY_IP_LIMIT.
    After that number is achieved the oldest entry is deleted when a new one is added.
    The recommended max No. for DENY_IP_LIMIT is 1000.
    I have seen a turnover time of 3 months with the limit set at 1000

Back to the logic of what you are doing here.
    Your objectives can be to...
    1) Restrict access by offending IPs so as to preserve server resources.
    2) Restrict access by offending IPs so as to prevent those IPs carrying out hack attempts.
    3) Both of the above.

Temp blocks achieve #1 and block to login attempts which GOT pointed out are no threat to your server.
    They do not achieve #2.

Perm blocks achieve #1 and #2, but as you point out may block public proxies or dynamic IPs

You just have to work out which compromise is most important to you on this server.

11. GeekOnTheHill

GeekOnTheHill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Okay, thanks for clarifying that. I'll have to look up the logs and do some math to come up with something reasonable. I don't want to forever block "innocent" IPs that just happened to be used by a malicious individual on a given day, but I would like to completely restrict those IPs for enough time for the malicious actor to move on. I'm definitely going to have to give this some thought before implementing it.

Thanks again,

Richard

12. fuzzylogic

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As a matter of interest, if you research the owners of IPs behaving badly I would be interested in the numbers/percentages you find that are in fact listed public proxies or owned by telcos (possibly dynamic).
    In my experience less than 5 in a 1000 were owned by telcos (at least from countries I am interested in allowing)
    I have never checked against public proxy lists.

13. GeekOnTheHill

GeekOnTheHill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Okay; although I must say, I get hundreds of them a day between failed WP, WHM, and SSH login attempts, so I can't promise anything.

Some months, the number one page served is the 404 page; and when I check the raw logs, they're all CMS login attempts. The client actually asked me about that once, thinking I must have had a bad link somewhere on the site. But they were all from miscreants trying to access non-existent login pages.

Richard

14. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks for opening this, and all the great discussion/answers in there. @GeekOnTheHill I hope you got the answers you were looking for, if not let us know!

Thank you!