The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use name servers at registrar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robert4950, Jul 2, 2011.

1. robert4950

robert4950 Registered

This is EXACTLY what I want to do for the same reasons. I host my email elsewhere and I prefer to use the name servers at go daddy. That way if I ever switch to another host, I don't need to set everything up again. All I have to do is change my A record.

I search everywhere online and I cannot find any information on this set up. All help topics etc. mention using your own name servers. I want to make sure I won't have any issues doing it this way. Why is there not a KB article on this anywhere?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's acceptable to use your domain registrar's name servers, or a third-party DNS provider for the domain names hosted on your server. Simply point the "A" records for your domain name and it's subdomains to the IP address assigned to your account. If you are using cPanel for email, remember to update the "MX" records as well.

Thank you.

3. robert4950

robert4950 Registered

ok. I have it set up and it seems to be working. I just wasn't sure what to select when creating an account in WHM. The options are

Use the nameservers specified at the Domain's Registrar
    (ignore locally specified nameservers)
    or
    Overwrite any existing DNS zones for the account