The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

use of autoresponders as spamcontrol

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peteraloha, Jun 13, 2005.

1. peteraloha

peteraloha Member

Hi Folks,

two of my pop3 accounts get increasingly spammed.

I setup autoresponders on those accounts,
    prompting the sender to contact me on a "temporary" third
    account to obtain my new permanent pop3 account NOT known to spammers.

QUESTION: Can I stop mail being sent to the "inbox" of accounts with a autoresponder on it? With other words, can I prevent accumulation of spam on the server on accounts that have an autoresponder in place?

Thanks,

Pete

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Delete the POP3 account that is for the auto-responder and create a Forwarder of the same name to :fail: instead should do it. Btw, the use of an autoresponder for anti-spam purposes is an extremely bad idea and will likely get your server blacklisted quite quickly as many spam emails and most virus emails used forged From headers that you will be emailing.

3. peteraloha

peteraloha Member

(Jonathan) any suggestions how to control spam?

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your response, which is VERY useful!

I immediately discontinued the autoresponders for the reasons you imply.

Do you have any suggestions on how to control server side beyond using
    "spam assassin", which I find now is being bypassed quite frequently?

I know this is probably a widely discussed issue,
    and as a newbie, I am open to be sent to a thread that is
    addressing the "spam" topic.

Thanks,

Pete

4. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Boxtrapper works in exactly the same way - doubles the amount of spam on the internet.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There are various server side anti-spam solutions mentioned on the forums here, which break down into:

1. MailScanner

2. Exiscan extensions

3. ASSP

4. DSPAM

The first two are the most popular.

6. peteraloha

peteraloha Member

Spamasassin and MailScanner

Chirpy,

I took a look at MailScanner,
    and decided it might be best to just settle on one solution and then educate myself
    about the setup.

Do you know of folks in this forum, or threads,
    that would be appropriate for me to go to and learn more about
    how to set MailScanner up, and whether my upline provider will allow me the use of MailScanner server side?

I know the "legwork" is now up to me, and I won't bother you with this any longer,
    leaving it at thanking you to point me towards MailScanner.

Oh, I am using Spamasassin,
    and it seems that the spammers are getting more and more skilled to write spam that bypasses the Spamassassin................but as I said, I guess it's like anything: You got a learn how to use software and how to set it up to get good use out of it.

Thanks,

Pete

7. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

Pete:

Look at the signature in Jonathan's post and visit his website. For a small fee (one that is hardly a reflection of the quality of work his company provides), he can install the MailScanner package on your server. To top things off, he offers step-by-step instructions if you wish to do so yourself. If you use his scripts, do the right thing and put some money into his paypal account.

You can also search these forums for "MailScanner" and find lots of good reading.

Rick

8. peteraloha

peteraloha Member

Thanks, Rick

Have you used MailScanner, and did it get rid of most of your spam? Success rate = 95% or better?

Pete

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I get detection rates of 99%+ with false-positives very rare.

10. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I first started using the MailScanner / Spamassassin / ClamAV combination years ago while hosting business clients under an Ensim environment. When I made the switch to cPanel it made sense to keep that combination in place. MailScanner gives you infinite control of the whole SpamAssasin "process" in addition to adding many of its own checks and options. That said, it is not always a necessary addition -- you certainly can work with the tools directly integrated into cPanel.

Would less spam slip through if you had the MailScanner package installed? Interesting question and I would have to say "not necessarily," as MailScanner passes the messages to SpamAssassin for the brunt of processing against their rule-weighted algorithms. You may need to add additional SpamAssassin rulesets or increase the "scoring" assigned to messages -- both which can be done with or without the MailScanner add on.

Two additional items I implemented which have had a huge impact in cutting back on spam and keeping server loads reasonable are the Dictionary Attack ACL (from Jonathan's web site) and HELO tests as outlined here.

About 61% of all mail coming into my accounts is spam. Half of all that mail is blocked at the server level (using the two items mentioned above) before it is even "passed" to the MailScanner / SpamAssassin package for further processing (where another 20% is caught). Although I see very few false positives, they do occur and its something you need to keep an eye on and tweak over time.

Hope this is of some help.

Rick