The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use of Underscore in CNAME record

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Mark Cooper, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Mark Cooper

Mark Cooper Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am working to setup DKIM signing for our domain. The website is with a host service that uses CPanel for the backend. Our Email is with Office365. The instructions I have for setting up Office365 DKIM includes entering two CNAME records into the DNS zone. If you assume the website name is contoso.com the structure of the CNAME records are as follows:

Host name: selector1._domainkey
    Points to address or value: selector1-contoso-com._domainkey.contoso.onmicrosoft.com
    TTL: 3600

Host name: selector2._domainkey
    Points to address or value: selector2-contoso-com._domainkey.contoso.onmicrosoft.com
    TTL: 3600

When I enter the information into the Advanced DNS Editor I see green check marks beside the entries before submitting the change. The problem I am having is that when I submit the change I receive an error message stating that the CNAME must point to a FQDN. If I remove the underscore from only the CNAME record value then it will accept the record. I have confirmed that syntax of the record value is correct.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Internal case CPANEL-1953 is open to address the issue where the Advanced DNS Zone Editor does not allow you to add an underscore in the righthand side of the CNAME field. Please monitor our change log to see when a resolution to this issue has been released:

Change Logs - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

In the meantime, the workaround is to edit the DNS zone via "WHM >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone".

Thank you.

Mark Cooper likes this.
  3. Mark Cooper

Mark Cooper Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you for the quick response. I forwarded this information to my web host and they successfully input the records using the workaround.