The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use web hostings nameserver

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by aaronpie, Jul 25, 2008.

1. aaronpie

aaronpie Member

I was wondering how I setup my nameservers in WHM to use my hosting provider's nameservers. Would it be the same way I would if I was setting up private nameservers? I only have three IP addresses with my dedicated server account and I do not want to use two of my IPs for nameservers. Thanks

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

If you are using external name servers then the external server would provide the records for the domains hosting them.

If you have clients then I would suggest using your local name servers. 3 IP's is sufficient as you can share them with your hosting addresses. They are not exclusive to nameservers only.

3. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

For example if your main domain is abc.com and if you want to setup nameservers like ns1.xyz.com and ns2.xyz.com then follow the below steps.

1. Login into your WHM account.
    2. Go to nameservers IP.
    3. Enter nameserver name ns1.xyz.com and click on Assign button. (It will automatically assign free IP address.)
    4. Follow 3rd step for ns2.
    5. Now, go to Edit DNS zone and see if there are A records exists for ns1 and ns2. If they are then you are done from the WHM side.

Now, you need to create childnameservers for your xyz.com domain from the domain control panel. You can get the details of your domain control panel from your domain registrar. If you do not know about your Domain registrar then you can get this information from the URL http://whois.com by providing your domain name.

4. spyderman4g63

spyderman4g63 Registered

I have the same issue, but I do not have this option in web host manager(nameservers IP).

5. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

Are you looking in the root whm ?