Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use WHM as nameserver, risk and possible issue

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Luca Sartori, May 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Luca Sartori

Luca Sartori Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, I managed a server with WHM and Cpanel with some domain on a shared ip.
    I always have used an exeternal nameserver resolution service (namely afraid.org) to manage nameserver resolution, now I'm interested to use WHM and BIND to simplify my managing tasks.

What are the principale risks of using my webserver and mailserver as a nameserver? Do I need another nameserver to have at least 2 nameserver to set in my registar (I assume I can use the DNS ONLY version of WHM as secondary DNS)?

What can I do to secure my server against DDOS DNS attack or DNS Poisoning?

Thanks to everyone so kind to clear my doubts

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Luca,

The risk of running the name server locally is generally with redundancy as opposed to security or performance (unless you have several thousand or more domain names). You can browse to "WHM >> Nameserver Selection" to see the pros and cons of each name server offered with cPanel & WHM. You can setup multiple name server records (NS1 and NS2) at the domain registrar with the same IP address, or if you prefer to use a DNS cluster, you can install DNS-Only on one or more servers and follow the guidelines on the document below:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configurations - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

3. Luca Sartori

Luca Sartori Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the useful info.
    I started to read the documentation about the DNS clustering (and followed the lesson on cpanel University), butwhen I tried to authenticate the DNSONLY server on my server (let it be Server A) I see the autentication page declaring that what I am doing is deprecated
    (I am adding the DNSONLY server using Clusters->DNS Cluster (Enable DNS Cluster->Configure) on Server A)
    Is there any new method to create a Cluster?

Thanks again

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you post a screenshot of what you see when attempting to set it up? Ensure to block out any identifying information.

Thank you.

5. Luca Sartori

Luca Sartori Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Nevermind, I pushed through the configuration and now I have a working DNS cluster. Thanks for everything

cPanelMichael likes this.
  6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm glad to see it's now working well. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.