The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used "Change a site's IP" in WHM and now everything went down. Please Help.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whm/cp novice, Apr 19, 2012.

1. whm/cp novice

whm/cp novice Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My knowledge level with whm/cpanel is still on the noobish side, so if you can offer any assistance, please keep it as simple as possible.

I guess you could say I was dicking around in my WHM interface and decided to try and use the "Change a site's IP" function to one of the dedicated IPS on my VPS instead of the main shared one.

Well, when I did, I noticed the sites for that user account all went down and redirected to the /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi directory and on the page was this

"If you are the web site owner, it is possible you have reached this page because:

The IP address has changed.
    There has been a server misconfiguration.
    The site may have been moved to a different server.
    If you are the owner of this website and were not expecting to see this page, please contact your hosting provider."

So, what did I do? I changed the IP back to the original then rebooted the server. Something tells me this was not the right move.

Well, now after I login to whm/cpanel for root access I'm redirected to this page:

"In order to access the interface, you will need to make sure that the software license on this server is active and installed.

Your license could not be activated because:

Cannot Read License File"

So, I screwed something up big time I'm guessing and I'll need to use SSH to login and fix it, but I have no idea what to do. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. whm/cp novice

whm/cp novice Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Used "Change a site's IP" in WHM and now everything went down. Please H

My site's are all back up, so I'm assuming they went down to begin with because of propagation, which I should have realized. However, I still can't access whm because of the license issue.

I would like to note that the trial period was still in effect for the server, as the server issuer hadn't upgraded to the full license yet, but there is no way these happened at the same time. I sent them an email, but I'd like to know how to fix these issues myself for future reference.

3. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Used "Change a site's IP" in WHM and now everything went down. Please H

Yes it was because of DNS propagation. Run /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt from ssh and that will get your license working again most likely. All kinda depends on the trial license, never used one so I can't speculate.