The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Useless charset decoding in mail filters

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by emusic, Sep 3, 2010.

1. emusic

emusic Registered

Sep 3, 2010

I use cPanel 11.25.0-RELEASE to access my shared hosting at I receive many Japanese SPAM messages so I'm trying to add an account level filter to block them. In the Subject field, these messages have the Japanese 2022 charset specifier: "= ? iso-2022-jp ?" (I added spaces to avoid this specifier to be converted by the forum script).

I added a rule "Subject matches regexp" and placed this specifier to the string field, of course escaping question marks with backslashes. But the filter doesn't recognize Japanese messages. If I click "Test filter" with a subject string taken from a real message, I see that this string is expanded (converted to unreadable ASCII string) before it is tested for a match.

This expansion/conversion is definitely useless because text fields support only ASCII, not UNICODE, and converted strings are shown using ASCII characters, not native characters of an originating charset.

Why does cPanel convert foreign charsets to ASCII before applying filters and how to disable the conversion?