The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

user contact email ids

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by anand, Apr 13, 2002.

1. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Cpanel has a location in which it stores the contact email id of that particular domain. Now i am shifting my server to another NOC and unfortunately lot of places, the customers haven't given their email ids. So the default got generated xxx@servername.abc.com. Now when i shift the server, they won't be valid anymore.

Where do i change them ? Is there a way i can globally change them ?? Any help would really be appreciated.

cheers!

anand

2. parag

parag Well-Known Member

[quote:9be9cbc055][i:9be9cbc055]Originally posted by anand[/i:9be9cbc055]

Cpanel has a location in which it stores the contact email id of that particular domain. Now i am shifting my server to another NOC and unfortunately lot of places, the customers haven't given their email ids. So the default got generated xxx@servername.abc.com. Now when i shift the server, they won't be valid anymore.

Where do i change them ? Is there a way i can globally change them ?? Any help would really be appreciated.

cheers!

anand[/quote:9be9cbc055]

Hi Anand,

I did not understand one thing, what got generated by default? the contact email ids???

anyways.. the email id's for your customers are not stored in one single file - they are stored in seperate files under your customer's root.

for example you have a user called &anand& then if that user has entered his contact id then in the /home/anand directory you will be able to see .contactemail

thats the file in which the contact emails are stored.

you can email me.
    best regards,
    Parag

3. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    [quote:f1459bd0e6][i:f1459bd0e6]Originally posted by parag[/i:f1459bd0e6]

I did not understand one thing, what got generated by default? the contact email ids???

anyways.. the email id's for your customers are not stored in one single file - they are stored in seperate files under your customer's root.

for example you have a user called &anand& then if that user has entered his contact id then in the /home/anand directory you will be able to see .contactemail

thats the file in which the contact emails are stored.

[/quote:f1459bd0e6]

When inside WHM you have an option to try guessing the emails of all users. This is useful when you want to email all your users in one go from the server itself.

Thx for the info. But i figured it the moment i put this post here :) Now i am just trying to figure out how to change the .contactemail file i.e. to replace each servername.abc.com to server2.xyz.com.

cheers!

anand

4. purplepaws

purplepaws Well-Known Member

Anand,

Did you ever get a good solution for this?

5. Silverado

Silverado Well-Known Member

Not really a fix but we always include a reference in our welcome email to our clients (and in our cpanel news) for them to make sure and keep an updated contact email address in their cPanel for server updates and any other important information.
    We also use a mailing list for each server just in case they refuse to enter a contact email address. As of this writing I would guesstimate that only 60% of our clients actually enter a contact email address.

6. purplepaws

We are actaully in the same position as Anand was a while back.

Copied over accounts to a new server, and the .contactemail file references the old server (i.e. username@hostname.com)

So what we need to do is search for .contactemail files that contain references to the older server hostname and wipe them out. But, we want to keep the files that contact useful contacts - like popaccount@customerdomain.com

Did that make any sense at all?!?

7. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This would be more of a Business Management task as opposed to leaving it up to a Control Panel and/or Clients. I knew from previous business experience that I would need to take control in this area and force people to use certain methods.

This is why, all accounts must use their ISP eMail address upon signup -- everyone has one and it always works. We also use a special 'keyword' contact eMail address -- which includes their Domain name -- and is provided in their "Welcome" eMail. This 'keyword' is the same for all accounts and only the Domain name changes. Most handy when wanting to contact a specific (or all) Clients for anything to do with their account.

It is to your own peril, not to take responsablity in this area and setup a method that you maintain and all Clients must use. And if they don't, make mention of it in your TOS to cover yourself. ;)

8. purplepaws

I think your missing the point, or perhaps it is that I am not explaining clearly (probably the case).

I guess we will just rm /home/*/.contactemail and ask the clients to update again. I was just looking for a less taxing method for the cleints.