The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

user FTP accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndrewGe, Sep 17, 2009.

1. AndrewGe

AndrewGe Member

Hi all,

I have a very quick question....

if a cpanel user creates an FTP account through his or her account, it will add their syntax at the end (i.e, ftp user jon in domain example.com has a login of jon@example.com).

Is there any way via WHM/ cPanel that i can setup a 'sub' FTP account so that its just 'jon' but will still login to a directory within their account? - I just need it to work for 1 login.

Many thanks in advance.

2. MattCurry

MattCurry Well-Known Member

FTP Accounts

Hello,

I do see what you are trying to do, however the way the ftp is setup that would not work. Unless you were not on a shared server (ie, only 1 account[can be done by IP]). I hope this helps, please let me know if you have other questions.

Thank you,
    Matthew Curry

3. sanjaydagar123

Note that ftp username and ftp password are same as cpanel username and cpanel password and in that case, you no need to add @domain.com for use ftp username. But, when you add additional ftp username and password via ftp manager it will add @domain.com after ftp username.

4. AndrewGe

AndrewGe Member

Hi,

the scenario you spoke about there was slightly diferent to what I was after...

I have an active account within cpanel to run the account, and needed to grant access to a limited number of people to just a subdirectory on the account (for example /home/account1/public_html/uploads). As the website was hosted on another server (non cpanel), I wanted to keep the FTP username to avoid confusion.

I've since resolved this issue, but thanks for your input anyway :)

5. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Actually this is possible but you will have to do it manually via SSH ...

You need to create a new system user that has the same home path as the login that you just created and you will be able to drop the domain appendage to the new user login name.

The primary login on all accounts is actually a system user and does not require a domain name be appended so the only way to drop the domain name from the FTP login is to give that user their own hosting account instead of putting their domain on another as a parked or addon domain. You can circumvent this by manual setup though and that would allow for FTP usernames on addon / parked / subdomain accounts that don't require the domain appended.

#5 Spiral, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009