The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

User had all spam addresses auto added to SA's Whitelist

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by WindyT, Mar 27, 2011.

1. WindyT

WindyT Active Member

I have no earthly way of knowing how, but after opening up my user's account, her spam assassin Whitelist account was 21 megs. I d/l'd it, opened it, and sure enough, every manner of spam address was inside.

Whether it was something on our server that managed to do it to her account or something on her home machine, something caused the user to have everything whitelisted. Spam Assassin doesn't work very well when something has set the whitelist to accept everything.

I deleted every file in spamassassin folder and let SA rebuild it. I'll continue to watch things.

weird.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Was this an entirely new account or was it moved from another server to that one?

3. GregS

GregS Registered

"Whitelist" is a misleading name for this feature. It keeps track of the average spam score for all messages sent from a particular email address (further grouped by IP address, to avoid problems caused by spoofed emails), and adjusts the scores for new emails that match either up or down based on this. So, if you are getting a lot of spam from a particular email address, it doesn't "whitelist" this address, but rather increases the spam score of other emails from that address.

See Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AWL - Normalize scores via auto-whitelist for more information.