The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

User mails on another partition/disk

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Havri, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Havri

Havri Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

I have some questions about the mail folder of our users. First, I'm going to try to explain our hardware setup and how our clients use their web hosting space.

The majority of our clients use more than 50% of their space for mail. We are now using 7200 RPMs HDDs, 500GB or 1TB capacity each in RAID 1. If we were to replace these HDDs with SSDs, it would cost us a lot, seeing that more than 50% of the majority of space is occupied by mail only. It would also not benefit if the SSDs were to be used for storing clients' mails.

What I would like to know if there is a solution to move every user's mail folder to another partition/disk and not break cPanel functionality. I saw the below discussion, but it breaks backups, account transfer and so on:

https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/move-mail-folder-to-other-partition.209111/

Basically, in the above discussion, you would move the /home/user/mail folder to another location and create a symlink to it, so that webmail, account creation, email sending etc. would all work.

If we could be able to store users' mail in another location, we could use SSDs for the /home, /, /usr and /var partitions and an HDD for mail storage (for example, /mail partition), giving a performance boost, but I don't want to break the backup or transfer account functionality on our servers. Also, this setup would provide SSD quality web hosting services (mysql, Apache, PHP, file access, etc.), and still be able to provide a lot of space for mail storage.

Is there any way to get this done? Should this be a feature request?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There's no support for this type of configuration at this time. You could test it out using your existing partitions to get an idea of how it would work, but it's an unsupported configuration so we can't guarantee it won't result in issues with the account. I suggest opening a feature request for this via:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.

3. Havri

Havri Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

From what I've understood, the problem that making a symlink would bring is that the backup can't follow symlinks, so the emails wouldn't be included in the backups. The same goes for the transfer process, transferring an account would not include the email folder. I'll make a request and see if other could benefit from this kind of server architecture.

Thank you for your time.