The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

User priv. and MySQL Admin

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by krazframe, Jan 4, 2006.

1. krazframe

krazframe Registered

Hi, I need to know if its possible to login to a cpanel's mysql with mysql administrator and have admin right, eg. I could create users or new tables/schemata

Thanks!

2. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Login to your cPanel

Depending on the theme you are using, find heading Databases there is a link MySQL Databases. Click on it and follow the simple form to create a data base.

Once you have created a data base proceed to add a user by creating a username and password.

Then when you have created a user select the database from the drop box and assign that user to the database.

You can create other users for the same data base if required.

After you have created all this and it is seen to be ok, down at the bottom of the form there is alink to phpMyAdmin.

Click on it and you can then select the database and perform all the required fuction and commands to populate and administer your database.

:)

3. krazframe

krazframe Registered

sorry

Sorry, I must have explained it poorly,
    I've created a user and a table, but what I'm trying to do is log in with MySQL Administrator, a stand alone cient, and creat tables. When I try it says I do not have permission to do so.
    The problem is with the account privileges, I'm not allowed to creat tables with the user I created. I can do all of this with the mysql server I installed on my pc, but I am unable to set account privileges with the cpanel mysql interface.

The reason I need to be able to do this is I am copying a database from another mysql server, I can make backups and restore them on any mysql server I have privileges to do so on, But I cannot set them with the cpanel interface.

4. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

The last explanation was much clearer, thanks.

You can save your original database data and import that data using cPanel's phpMyAdmin.

Create a new database with all the same names and users etc in cPanel.
    Then in phpMyAdmin import the saved originaldbdata.sql file into your data base.

Edit - Just to add, in cPanel database environment the database name is appended with the cPanel username:
    cPanelusername_dbname
    and the same for the database username it is likewise appended:
    cPanelusername_dbusername

The password is not affected and will be as you set it.

You may have to edit your originaldb.sql to reflect this behaviour.
    HTH.

:)

#4 Izzee, Jan 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006