The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

User running outside of jail.

Discussion in 'Security' started by Spork Schivago, Jul 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Spork Schivago

Spork Schivago Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

I recently upgraded to 56.0.27 (now I'm upgrading to 56.0.28) and this morning, I get an e-mail saying my user is running outside of the jail shell. It was. I originally thought I wanted that when I set it up but I don't. So, this is where it gets a bit weird. I have two user accounts that I have shell access with. In WHM, I go to place where you pick what type of shell you want for the users, normal shell, jail shell, no shell. And what do I see? Only the one user I got an e-mail about is actually listed there. It doesn't list the other user at all. So, I figure hey, maybe this other user doesn't have shell access anymore. But nope, I can ssh in with the other user.

Why doesn't that second user show up under the list at all? I set it up when I first got my server and perhaps I added the user using the useradd program. Maybe I was supposed to set it up via WHM / cPanel? A bit weird though. I'd of thought all the users would show up there and I'd be able to set a shell for any of them.

Any thoughts on why the second user doesn't show up under the shell access stuff in WHM? Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

That interface is only going to list the cPanel accounts. Users that you manually added are not manageable through this interface.

Thank you.

Spork Schivago likes this.
  3. Spork Schivago

Spork Schivago Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner