Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

User unable to use FrontPage as of a month ago

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kenel, Dec 21, 2006.

1. kenel

kenel Member

Hello everyone,

I'm using the latest CURRENT build of CPanel/WHM, and just recieved an angry letter from a customer that his FrontPage hasn't been working for the past month or so. It just won't connect. I've tried removing it manually, downgrading it using /scripts/downgradefp , and a lot of other possible "solutions" I found on this message board. Nothing has worked so far. He said he was using FrontPage/Office 12.

Now he sends me a mail to a directory on his domain, that - I'm unclear whether or not it was created with frontpage because he's yet to respond - gives a 403 error when you go to it. Tailing the Apache log provides the following:

[Thu Dec 21 23:54:24 2006] [crit] [client 68.255.96.15] (13)Permission denied: /home/chupacab/public_html/ryanuhill/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

(I've created a .htaccess file there, CHMOD'd it, and it's still giving that error).

I'm just downright confused. How can I get CPanel and FrontPage to play along together?

Thanks.

2. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

What are the permissions and ownership on that .htaccess file ?

also, is the /home/user/ directory have the proper permission and ownership. Make sure all sections of his website have the proper ownership user:user or user:nobody

3. jrf

jrf Well-Known Member

I have all but given up on Front Page. I have about 10 customers now that can not use Front Page. The problem started about 3-4 months ago. I have all the latest builds and so forth. What is so frustrating is that some users can use Front Page without a problem, and other can not not. I have not been able to track this back to one specific problem, although everyone that can not use Front Page has the same problm; it appears timeouts prevent Front Page from connecting. Some of them can not connect to start with others can transfer 3-5 files and then timeout.

MS says it is ending Front Page support and has released a replacement program. I can not remember the name of the new program. It has a built in transfer system more like dream weaver so server side software is not required. I read about this in a magazine and have not been able to find a copy of the new software to buy.

Any one have any suggestions to any of this?

4. kenel

kenel Member

I've tried several thigns I found on this board, and the permissions were set correctly on the public_html. I was just tailing apache's error_log, and I found this:

[Sun Dec 24 13:25:15 2006] [error] [client XXXXXXX] Premature end of script headers: /usr/local/frontpage/version5.0/apache-fp/_vti_bin/fpexe

Could this be part of it?

(XXXXXX replaced IPs)

5. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

Likely, check there are no mod_security rules breaking FrontPage (seen that before).

Also make sure FrontPage installed properly, when you install or uninstall FrontPage Extensions on a site, are you seeing any errors in apache logs or somewhere else.

Tamouh

6. kenel

kenel Member

I'm not seeing any strange apache log errors. I use the default rules set in mod_sec from CPanel:

Customer is using frontpage 2003. I'm using WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.9.0-C117.

This is so frustrating!

7. jrf

jrf Well-Known Member

Yep, it is strange as I do not see any errors either. The problems my customers get is due to time outs, at least that is how it appears. I wonder if a windows update on their PCs caused the problem as not all of my customers have this problem. One customer started having the problem when they purchased a new PC and installed FP on it. However they do not have the old PC to go back and try it from, but I sort of think the old PC might work fine. Then again, this could be an internal FTP issue...

8. Silver_2000

Silver_2000 Well-Known Member

frontpage was EOL about 6 months ago
    Its not been updated or secured against expoits since then
    Frontpage and Htaccess are mutually explusive

If I were you I would recomplie apache without the frontpage extensions

That way you dont get exploited like so many have
    users can still publish with FTP
    Doug

9. kenel

kenel Member

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't feel like telling my customer "f*** you".

10. Silver_2000

Silver_2000 Well-Known Member

You are free to view the advice however you see fit

However while thinking bad things about me - do a search for frontpage exploits
    They have been OWNED big time - If you choose to expose your server to these - against the advice of Microsoft then I wish you luck staying under the radar