The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

<username>_logs user

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AVL, Nov 11, 2003.

1. AVL

AVL Member

On new account creation the system automatically creates a user <username>_logs with FTP permission to access /usr/local/apache/domlogs directory with all server logs. I found how to disable this - it is done in mkvhostspasswd and ftpupdate scripts. I'm just wondering, why does WHM create this user? It is absolutely not acceptable that one customer has an access to other customers' logs.

Thank you,
    Andrew

2. AnthonyR

AnthonyR Active Member

The actual Raw logs are not(usually)downloadable - try and you should be denied.

The smaller byte logs are, but as far as I am aware, its is reasonably safe to allow that.

The only issue I have with it, is the fact that Users can see how many accounts and what sites are on the server.

I hope that helps,
    Tony.

3. AVL

AVL Member

I'm setting up server for a company, which hosts sites of their clients. Information about how many clients they have, who these clients are and how many visitors do their sites get is not for exposure.

The question, again, is not "What to do?" but "Why WHM does this?".

4. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

So that users can download their Apache logs via FTP.