The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users are experiencing problems receiving mail off and on

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by JeremyV, Jun 20, 2003.

1. JeremyV

JeremyV Well-Known Member

Greetings,

Recently, one user in particular, said all of a sudden they are usually unable to receive (although, I think they mean send) email via outlook. They have been a customer of mine for about a week, and had no problems up until about 2 days ago.

They say that when trying to receive mail, it occasionally gives an error saying

The odd thing is, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't work. I could see if it was a consistent error, but they only get it once and a while. Any ideas?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. jackal

jackal Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

3. Crazy Pete

Crazy Pete Well-Known Member

Same thing here, is there a log I can look in to see what hosts are being denied connectivity and why? I've tried watching exim_mainlog as I send mail from this particular machine that gets the error, and don't see anything popup in it.

4. JeremyV

while I have read the whole exim4 thread.. I'm not using exim4 at the time, and am still using cpanel 6.x. I could understand if I upgraded, but I have not, and this problem came out of nowhere. I would upgrade, but reading many of the reports in that thread of problems, I don't want to be up until 5am fixing things.

5. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

you using COX for your isp?

6. JeremyV

nope, and the client having issues is using a smaller dial-up service. He says he has no problems with using outlook with other services such as hotmail and such.. only with mine :confused:

7. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

hotmail uses a http port not 25. In the last 2 weeks 50 ISP's have blocked port25.

Tell him to do this just to make sure.

Open a MSDOS prompt XP = command prompt.

while connected to net type:

telnet his-domain-here.com 25

hit enter

if he sees a message from your box saying hello then his ISP passes the traffic. If it stalls and times out. It's his ISP blocking port25.

Good luck.

8. JeremyV

Thanks, I will forward the message to him :) I originally mentioned it might be his ISP blocking it, but of course.. the customer is always right, and they insisted it wasn't their problem but mine :rolleyes:

9. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I get those bastards all the time. I usually tell him to sign up with another host (once I am sure port 25 is blocked) and if it works with that host I refund their money. If it doesn't they can re-activate their account for a one time fee of $50

That shuts them up. Tell them to try and talk to any mail server on port 25. Find one other than the one his ISP is connected to that will answer.

10. Crazy Pete

I'm using cox for my ISP but the server I'm connecting to isn't through it. It worked up until today, now I just get the "Connection closed by foreign host" message in Eudora and if I try to telnet in, I get the black screen like it's waiting for the server greeting and then it eventually just goes back to the cmd prompt. But like I said, I never notice anything odd in the server logs. Should I?

11. Crazy Pete

Still having this problem. Anyone know where I can look in the logs to try and figure out what's going on?

12. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

If you use COX .. you can NOT pass traffic through them on port 25. If you don't see a hello from your server using that telnet tip ... COX is blocking you:
    http://support.cox.net/custsup/email/email_info.shtml

there won't be any logs becuase they don't let your computer reach any outisde server at port 25. That's the outgoing mail port.

#12 rpmws, Jun 21, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2003
  13. Crazy Pete

That's pretty absurd. Did they just implement that change yesterday because everything worked fine until then? Thanks for the info though, that helps.

14. jackal

jackal Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Could he setup port 26 for cox only somehow?

15. rbmatt

rbmatt Well-Known Member

I think there is a feature "exim on another port" that should work.

16. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

yes .they just did that in the last day or so. I found out about it also from this forum. I got the link to the COX support from a posting in this forum also. It just so happens during a time when SMTP auth on the new Exim has been worked on. So it has been confusing :(

17. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

Yes ..that can be done. But port26 would work for anyone also which should be ok.

It's not only COX .. how about Earthlink, WorldNet, ATTBi (in some areas). SprintDSL (in some areas) and a hand full of smaller ISP's. They all seem to want spammers to use them for outgoing mail I guess. If they remove these spammers I guess it does make it harder for spammers to find new ISP's if they all block 25. Spammers will be forced to use scripts on external servers. Gee I think that's what they all do anyway. They don't send mail out from home.

I hate this because it causes peopel to point the finger at us the host. AOL ..now get this. .if you are on AOL or know someone on AOL that know what a telnet session is. Ask them to run that test. AOL answers ALL smtp port 25 requests with THEIR smtp server!!! that's right ..try to connect to mail.your-host.com on port 25 and AOL mail server steps in. It was like this a while back anyway. :(

18. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

maybe all you hosts should get together and start some kind of class action lawsuit saying that blocking that traffic is a form of denial-of-service attack.

Unlikely that the customers will band together and boycott ISPs that block that port so looks like there aren't too many options to get these jerks to stop this...

It's not like it's going to prevent spam either, everyone will just start running port 26. But then again if you're going to go to the effort of changing your mail server over to run on a different port then you might as well secure it so that it's not an open relay any more as well :)

19. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

Open relay hasn't really been a problem. It's real users using real accounts, ISP or hosted to send spam. I think what ISP's are doing is trying to be in control of it. But like i said before.. real spammers lease servers and run scripts that are networks that don't care.

20. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

well... they're blocking port 25 to prevent people that use them to connect to the internet from sending e-mail through servers outside of their network. Users sending e-mail through servers outside of their network is a problem because of the large number of servers out there that don't authenticate users, even though almost every single one of those servers are already blacklisted by every spam database out there. This is understandable for the ISPs to do because those blacklists will eventually blacklist the entire IP subnet of the senders as well as the servers they were sent from and those ISPs want their customers to be able to send e-mail and not have it bounce, which they can not do when their entire subnets are blocked. It does save a little server load and bandwidth to have the customers sending e-mail through their own ISP instead of your servers but it only contributes to the problem of e-mail not being authenticated, because then it becomes the norm for users to send e-mail from SMTP server x.y.z at ip# 7.8.9.0 even though the from address is domain a.b.c which resolves to IP# 1.2.3.4 when one possible form of authenticating that the e-mail is valid is that it was sent through the same SMTP server that the domain in the from line resolves to. Other than that, in the long run this will sort of save work for the hosts out there, not having to worry about out-going e-mail. It's just too bad that for now it makes the hosts look bad.