The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users cannot login to mail boxes

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bluepine, Oct 10, 2008.

1. bluepine

bluepine Active Member

Hello all,
    I have a strange problem that showed up about 2 hours ago. It is not possible to access to any email account on any parked domains (main domains work well), the authtest says:

Authentication FAILED: Operation not permitted

All the main domains mail users work perfectly, just the parked domains are affected. I did not change anything, configuration wise and apparently no update tool ran. I tried to reboot the server with no luck. Checking /var/log/maillog I see that actually it looks like the password is wrong (cannot be wrong for all the users that are trying tho).

Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks

Stefano

2. milind

milind Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Check if default POP service is running on the server.

3. maxmk

maxmk Registered

Remove all pop* files from /etc/xinetd.d/ directory and restart xinetd service.

Then restart courier service by executing /scripts/restartsrv_courier* OR you can try /scripts/courierup --force too.

4. bluepine

bluepine Active Member

Thanks for the replies! The POP service is running, infact all emails on main domains work... only those on parked ones do not. I will try those hints hoping they work next time (now, all of a sudden, everything started working again... weird, it's the second time in 10 days this happens).

5. bluepine

bluepine Active Member

Ok I discovered what happened (I guess)... during an update that took place some minutes before everything broke, all the files under /var/cpanel/users/ had the parked domains moved from DNSx to XDNSx (which should be wrong from what I understood). That caused two problems:

1) emails on domains in XDNSx stopped working
    2) Domains listed in XDNSx did not show up in the domain name select in the email management page in cpanel

Now what I would like to understand is... why on earth CPanel update changed that setting?

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What is your full cPanel version number? Where you running the same branch (e.g. RELEASE) prior to this update? Is there any pattern to the domains that were marked as XDNS? For example, were the owned by other accounts in the past? Do two or more accounts share parked domains with similar names (e.g. account 1 has parked domain example.com and account 2 has parked domain example1.com) ?

7. Joriz

Joriz Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have the same problem.

After long testing and switching back to the settings before maildir and updating again to the newest settings (upcp --force etc...)

I noticed that I have the same problem.

I use
    cPanel 11.24.0-C30733 - WHM 11.24.0 - X 3.9
    CENTOS 4.7 x86_64 on standard

Currently it seems that all parked domains can't login their e-mail.

Also frontend/x3/mail/pops.html in cPanel does only show the main domain and doesn't show any parked domains at the create an account setting.
    In the current account list also e-mail accounts are missing.

So how is this fixed?

Update:

Fixed it with
    /script/rebuildcpusers

#7 Joriz, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008