Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Users cant send email / relayhosts not updating

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by nyjimbo, Jun 14, 2004.

1. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Since upgrading to 9.40-e13 (freebsd) users who send mail through our smtp server are complaining they get :

Task 'mail.xxxxxxxxxx.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC65) : 'Your
    outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue
    to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service
    provider (ISP). The server responded: 503 valid RCPT command must precede
    DATA'"

This is happening for many domains on the server that worked fine before the upgrade.

We tried to run /exim4 to update but that didnt help. I noticed that the file "relayhosts" in /etc has not updated since last nights upgrade.

Anyone know what could fix this ????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

Same issue on one of our FreeBSD v5.1 box running cPanel 9.3.0 C56. Any suggestions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nyjimbo

We were running 9.3.0 C56 flawlessly until this update to 9.4 e-13 so I dont think its the whole update, rather something is being pulled in with either cppop or exim or something mail related.

It could be anything, I tried to restore 'relayhosts' from a backup prior to the update but the permissions and info the same so its not that.

:(

4. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

It's funny because I have other users (domains) on this box that they have reported no problems.

I've also setup a temp. email address with their domain and it is working fine using outlook or outlook express. In addition, I mentioned the sysadmin to update the outlook settings to include 'My outgoing server (smtp) requires authentication' with 'Use same settings as my incoming mail server' (as I previously mentioned to them) and it seems to have worked on his console, but not others. Weird?!?!?

5. SonServers

SonServers Well-Known Member

Same thing for me here . . . After updating my FreeBSD server to 9.4.0-E13, some users are unable to send mail without turning on smtp authentication. So far that I know of, that has made it possible for everyone to send again but they are asking me "why the change?"

6. nyjimbo

Over the past hour or so we found that they have to turn on authentication and some have to make a change in their email user id.

I wish we could find out of this is a bug/fault in the server or if this is a "new feature".

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Check to make sure that antirelayd is running - this is the process that allows POP before SMTP and maintains /etc/relayhosts. If it isn't, you can start it with:
    /etc/init.d/antirelayd

8. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

Not listed in current running processes and can't run this command as it is not in etc. Advise?

9. nyjimbo

I dont see the folder "/etc/init.d" however there is a perl script called "antirelayd" in /usr/sbin.

As a matter of fact I always see antirelayd running when I do a "ps ax" at the console but since the upgrade it has not started.

I rebooted the machine several times in the past day but antirelayd never starts (or does start but fails and I dont know about it).

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, you could try running antirelayd interactively to see if it fails with an error by just typing in:

/usr/sbin/antirelayd

Sorry about the startup location, I'm Linux-centric and don't know much about the BSD directory structures.

Another way to start it in the background would be (usually) to use:

/usr/sbin/antirelayd &

But don't do that the first time as you won't see any errors from it.

11. nyjimbo

I just did that and it fired up. I didnt want to as I didnt know if it required any special syntax or had to be started at some point.

Now that its running I see "relayhosts" updated almost right away. My only question would be why is it not starting up at boot time. Even after 4 or 5 boots there was no antirelayd running.

This is freebsd, in case anyone is seeing the same thing on their bsd box.

12. mnett

mnett Registered

Same problem here... And it is some problems with sending mail trough php script

13. sjackson909

sjackson909 Well-Known Member

Try /usr/local/etc/rc.d/039antirelayd. Most services are start from that dir, included apache and exim. Just do a /usr/local/etc/rc.d/039antirelayd stop and then do a start.

-Seth

14. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

Most linux system simple do service antirelayd restart should do it :)

Mickalo

15. sjackson909

sjackson909 Well-Known Member

I guess I should have said that was for FreeBSD only.

16. TogaDave

TogaDave Well-Known Member

Having the same problem here ever since updating to
    WHM 9.4.0 cPanel 9.4.0-C20 last week.

I'm running Linux / RedHat 7.3

Some customers are complaining of getting "Sending' reported error (0x800CCC65) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA'" error.

This began whan I changed from Stable to "Current" 9.4.0 release last week.

I might be wrong but this appears to be an ongoing issue for some time now:

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24636&highlight=0x800CCC65

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5044&highlight=0x800CCC65

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20031&highlight=0x800CCC65

17. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

So, did you try the solution I posted and it didn't work?

18. Ben-Orbital

Ben-Orbital Member
    PartnerNOC

We are experiencing the same problem, i started the service manually and relayhosts updated. My only concern is why was it not started and will it not start after a reboot or when i do an update etc

19. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

When you restart exim, the anirelayd process is also restarted, so it will do after a reboot. It's just that the chkservd does not check for this process having failed and so won't restart it for you.

20. raylin

raylin Active Member

cpanel bug #754

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=754

FreeBSD startup scripts are only run if they have a .sh extension, which the antirelayd script does not
    have. It needs to be renamed so it will start on boot.

Code:
    # pwd
    /usr/local/etc/rc.d
    # ls
    000.compat3x.sh         039antirelayd           exim.sh
    000.compat4x.sh         039antirelayd.sh        mysql-server.sh
    000.mysql-client.sh     040exim.sh              proftpd.conf
    000.pkgtools.sh         050proftpd.sh           proftpd.sh
    020named.sh             080cpanel4.sh           rsyncd.sh
    030httpd.sh             090chkservd.sh

#20 raylin, Jul 29, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2004